Moisture meters

  • Marvin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
      Here is a company that has moisture meters. I bet they are expensive
      though, I didn't check prices.

      http://www.moisture-meter.com/

      Marvin
    • Marvin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
        --- In hobbicast@y..., "Marvin" <mz1773@h...> wrote:
        > Here is a company that has moisture meters. I bet they are
        expensive
        > though, I didn't check prices.
        >
        > http://www.moisture-meter.com/
        >
        > Marvin

        I did finally find the price on their foundry sand moisture meter,
        over a thousand dollars. Guess I will just keep checking my sand the
        old fasion way.

        Marvin

        Link to the meter

        http://www.moisture-meter.com/store/standard.html
      • tlthorne@apci.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2001
          Wood and grain moisture meters are availible, what percent of
          moisture is recomended??? how does the bonding oil/resins affect
          the readings? more questions than answers!
          i have an old grain moisture indicator(never throw anything out)
          i could see if it works and see what it show for a start?

          tt
          clueless just east of st.louis
        • Dr Brian H Le Page
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
            When I did a casting lab here years ago we checked the moisture content of
            the sand with a Speedy moisture tester. It is a metal flask with a pressure
            gauge. Some of the sand to be tested is put in the flask along with some
            calcium carbide (I cannot remember quantities). You wait a while and read
            off the pressure of the acetylene you have just produced to give an
            indication of the moisture content.

            Dr Brian H Le Page
            Mechanical and Materials Engineering
            University of Surrey
            Guildford
            Surrey
            GU2 7XH

            +44 1483 300800 ext 2439

            > Here is a company that has moisture meters. I bet they are
            expensive
            > though, I didn't check prices.
            >
            > http://www.moisture-meter.com/
            >
            > Marvin

            I did finally find the price on their foundry sand moisture meter,
            over a thousand dollars. Guess I will just keep checking my sand the
            old fasion way.

            Marvin

            Link to the meter

            http://www.moisture-meter.com/store/standard.html

            The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
            http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
            It includes member project pages & links

          • LLandstrom
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2001
              Speedy used 10 grams of soil (or sand)and one scoop of
              calcium carbide. the meter on the backside is
              calibrated to a moisture content. I saw 30 speedy
              moisture testers go at auction 3 yrs ago for $2/ea.
              they guy buying them wanted them for their wooden
              cases. he chucked the rest of them.

              We use them at work for testing moisture in soils.

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • catboat15@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
                Hi: I bought my wife a meter of some kind that she sticks in her garden dirt
                and it tells if she needs more water. I was wondering if that would be of any
                use with casting sand. Right now all I have is the "take a fist full,
                squeeze, break and look."

                John Meacham
                High Desert of California, Palmdale, Littlerock.

              • info.host@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
                  > Hi: I bought my wife a meter of some kind that she sticks in her garden
                  dirt
                  > and it tells if she needs more water. I was wondering if that would be of
                  any
                  > use with casting sand.

                  I forget who but it was on this list made the good point that with water
                  bonded sand it is also the clay content etc, which play parts as well. I
                  think the best plan for this tester idea would not be to find an overall
                  perfect for everyone but for people who make their own sand up to test the
                  batch when they have it how they want it, note down the result on the meter,
                  then add water later to make it back up to how the batch started.

                  John