AW: [hobbicast] Digest Number 407

  • Intellicorp001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2001
      John,

      Yes, above 75% it won't burn but if you get near a source of ignition while
      filling your balloon it will go up because the atmosphere surrounding the
      balloon supplies the required oxygen. A balloon full of propane would do the
      same thing. It matters not that the balloon itself contains pure hydrogen.
      You might prevent an explosion but not burning.

      Have you ever seen footage of the Hindenburg disaster ?

      Anyway, helium is non flammable but boring so go with the hydrogen, just
      take the usual precautions. Also be very carefull with concentrated caustic
      soda solution. I got some on my hand when I was about 14. It hurts about the
      same getting burning molten plastic on your hand i.e. its bloody sore.
      Interestingly it turns your hand into soap. You can feel that the burn is
      soapy. Just to add to the unpleasantness.

      Cheers,

      Wilson.