Re: [hobbicast] Re: Heavy Theory--gas pressure debate etc.

  • info.host@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
      Critical limits as per BOC's manual say it will need atleast 4.1% hydrogen
      to air to combust. Above 75% it will not burn.

      John

      http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
      > It includes member project pages & links

    • John Grant
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
        LLandstrom wrote:

        > Why mess around with helium. Get a glass bottle, fill
        > it halfway up with lye, stuff some crumpled up
        > aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
        > over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
        > is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
        > helium.

        Half the weight but not twice the lifting force.
        You have to compair the density of hydrogen to air and the densety of helium to air.

        John Grant
      • docbetty@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
          > This might sound dumb but... lye?
          >
          > John

          Yep. We used to do that when I was a kid - lye, aluminum foil, in a
          bottle - but we screwed the top on and waited for it to explode. We
          weren't very bright - weren't doing it for scientific reasons. None of
          them exploded, though (I guess the cap leaked), except once when a
          friend kicked the loaded jar in digust and was lucky not to get hurt.

          Doc
        • LLandstrom
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
            It's about 1/4th the atomic weight but it's a double
            molecule so it's really 1/2 the weight.

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/