Re: Heavy Theory--gas pressure debate etc.

  • terrybrown@optushome.com.au
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
      John, John, John,
      Thats a bit complicated. I said childs balloon,, sheesh! :):)
      Lets say measure 10000 inflated childs party balloons and calculate
      the mean, at a guess, I'd say they measure about, well you know,
      about yea wide. Anyway enough that there is no interference with the
      walls of the tunnel.
      Oh,, PLEASE don't ask if the tunnel is north-south or east-west
      oriented and please forget gravity. I just stay in the centre of the
      flow.
      Today I cleaned up and parted in two, 16 Inter 3-7/8" dia pistons, I
      can smell a melt coming on.
      Hope you're able to get something done to your burner stuff.
      Cheers
      Terry

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • terrybrown@optushome.com.au
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hi Donald,
        THANK you Donald. I think I'll have a nice cold beer now,, the stress
        is off.
        Cheers
        Terry.

      • info.host@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
          What gas is the baloon full of? Kids don't like air ones but helium... now
          that's a different thing all together. Alex and I were going to rent a
          helium cylinder for a few days just for the fun of it. :)
          A teacher my school keeps phoning the house while I'm on the internet trying
          to tell me what books I need to take back for them. I must have called 5 or
          so times and not been able to speak to them. Alex has been knocked off
          course and his DT group has been home economics, the only good thing is that
          he brings home lunch and can't say he doesn't now how to make anything. I
          think I'll send him in with a picture of what I plan to do to see if any of
          the teachers are willing to help. I sent off a job application to a DIY
          store so if I'm VERY lucky a might have enough to buy one of those Smithy
          (Read crap in CNC langauge) 3 in 1 machines. Be good enough for what I need
          I suppose. A $40,000 Bridgeport wouldn't go a miss though.

          John

        • LLandstrom
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
            Why mess around with helium. Get a glass bottle, fill
            it halfway up with lye, stuff some crumpled up
            aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
            over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
            is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
            helium.

            Watch out, the bottle will get hot. Don't use a metal
            or plastic bottle.

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • info.host@btinternet.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
              This might sound dumb but... lye?

              John

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                yes,

                lye. It can be found in every grocery store. It's also
                used to clean drains (draino) but I'd buy the pure
                lye. It comes in a plastic bottle. but don't use the
                plastic bottle for dissolving the aluminm into as the
                mix will get hot.

                greasy old aluminum foil will work. don't use shiney
                new stuff unless your rich. About 1 ounce of foil will
                make 1 cf of gas in a balloon.

                Tape a bunch of garbage bags together to make a fake
                UFO and try it out. You can tape tin foil to it so
                it'll pop up on radar and they will scramble the jets
                to intercept. don't tell anyone where you got the
                info.

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Dr Brian H Le Page
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Alkali, potassium hydroxide.

                  Dr Brian H Le Page
                  Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                  University of Surrey
                  Guildford
                  Surrey
                  GU2 7XH

                  +44 1483 300800 ext 2439

                  > Why mess around with helium. Get a glass bottle, fill
                  > it halfway up with lye, stuff some crumpled up
                  > aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
                  > over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
                  > is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
                  > helium.
                  >
                  > Watch out, the bottle will get hot. Don't use a metal
                  > or plastic bottle.
                  >
                  > LL

                  > http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

                  > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                  http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
                  > It includes member project pages & links

                  The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                  http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
                  It includes member project pages & links

                • lawrence jackman
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                    aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
                    > over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
                    > is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
                    > helium.
                    AND WILL EXPLODE ALSO where helium will not. Ask the Germans
                    Larry Jackman
                  • info.host@btinternet.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                      Critical limits as per BOC's manual say it will need atleast 4.1% hydrogen
                      to air to combust. Above 75% it will not burn.

                      John

                      > aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
                      > > over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
                      > > is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
                      > > helium.
                      > AND WILL EXPLODE ALSO where helium will not. Ask the Germans
                      > Larry Jackman

                      > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be found here:
                      http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
                      > It includes member project pages & links

                    • John Grant
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                        LLandstrom wrote:

                        > Why mess around with helium. Get a glass bottle, fill
                        > it halfway up with lye, stuff some crumpled up
                        > aluminum foil into it into the lye. then put a balloon
                        > over the end and watch it fill up with hydrogen which
                        > is half the weight (twice the lifting force) of
                        > helium.

                        Half the weight but not twice the lifting force.
                        You have to compair the density of hydrogen to air and the densety of helium to air.

                        John Grant
                      • docbetty@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                          > This might sound dumb but... lye?
                          >
                          > John

                          Yep. We used to do that when I was a kid - lye, aluminum foil, in a
                          bottle - but we screwed the top on and waited for it to explode. We
                          weren't very bright - weren't doing it for scientific reasons. None of
                          them exploded, though (I guess the cap leaked), except once when a
                          friend kicked the loaded jar in digust and was lucky not to get hurt.

                          Doc
                        • LLandstrom
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                            It's about 1/4th the atomic weight but it's a double
                            molecule so it's really 1/2 the weight.

                            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Ken Retallick
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
                              potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide? also known as caustic soda...

                              Ken