Might as well be a Newbie

  • cdninoh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2014

      I've been a member of this group for a very long time but life gets in the way and other projects call for my attention (see http://wp.me/31tQd and  Alex Smith's Vortex for some examples).

      However, I've been listening and have the components for a small, gas fired furnace but I'd really like a "guide".

      Can any one recommend a good book that might help me through some of the basics like sand mixing, pattern making etc.

      Riddle or muller? And a design to build same?

      Appreciate your help, guys.

      Alex in Southern Illinois

    • Dennis

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
          Thanks Dennis.
          I've seen Steve Chastain's books on amazon.
          Reading the comments implies he's got some good stuff.
          Alex

        • mikey98118
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
            Alex,
            What is good about Chastain is that he writes from experience--not bluff. I don't happen to agree with many of his equipment design choices, but that isn't relevant to the information you are seeking. The naval casting manual is thorough and reasonably priced, but it's pretty dry reading. Avoid anything by Tim McCreight; he bluffs and glosses over (just another typical writer of college textbooks). I like to read C. Ammen, but he isn't thorough enough (his books are more like surveys than how-to texts). Gingery's stuff is excellent and low priced.
            Good luck.
            Mikey

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 11, 2014
              The navy foundry manule and Mike Porter's book on burners are good places to start.
              Dan in Auburn

              On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Dennis volcom7114@... [hobbicast] <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Alex look up Steve Chastain's books he also has a website you can check out and buy his books..

              Dennis

              Dennis

              On Jul 10, 2014, at 4:48 PM, "cdninoh@... [hobbicast]" <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I've been a member of this group for a very long time but life gets in the way and other projects call for my attention (see http://wp.me/31tQd and  Alex Smith's Vortex for some examples).

              However, I've been listening and have the components for a small, gas fired furnace but I'd really like a "guide".

              Can any one recommend a good book that might help me through some of the basics like sand mixing, pattern making etc.

              Riddle or muller? And a design to build same?

              Appreciate your help, guys.

              Alex in Southern Illinois

              Alex Smith's Vortex
              WAHOO!! Finally licensed and on the road after 11 years. Scroll down for photos of the car in it's current state.  Stay tuned for photo's of the finished pr...
              Preview by Yahoo