Re: Furnace build

  • dhlh1984
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
      There is a F.S. Sperry co. near knoxville that carries the plicast line of products. Their home page is

      http://www.fssperry.com/knoxville.htm

      Here is a link to their product line.

      http://www.fssperry.com/Plibrico.htm

      D.Hair
    • rodney_grantham
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

        Chuck

        The castable refractory for my tilting crucible furnace was purchased

        from Hebron Brick, which is a local brickworks. Also check with folks who

        repair and install fireplaces and furnaces. http://granthams.com/tilt/ shows

        a few photos of my furnace.

        I've noticed you on the Chaski site, so you have likely seen my video showing

        my furnace in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRszKI0OOgM . Once

        you've done a little casting, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

        Good luck

        Rod

        ---In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles.

        I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up.

        Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces.

        I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers.

        If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites.

        I cannot find even a boiler maintenance company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out.

        Chuck

      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013
          Thank you Mr Hair. I've searched and searched for a local distributor of
          castable refractory. but haven't found one. That distributor is
          conveniently near McGee-Tyson AFB, where I go to the BX about every 6
          weeks. I'll definitely check them out.
          How did you find them? Are you in TN?
          Thanks again for the info.

          --
          Chuck
        • chucketn

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2013

              Chuck,

              Glad I could help out. Hope you have a fine time with your new furnace.

              David Hair