Re: [hobbicast] sheet metal core

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2013
      Hello Drag,
      Several reasons come to mind.

      1)a metal core would crack insulating refractory as it expands while
      being heated.
      2)the expansion would warp the sheeting.
      3)the warping would crack ITC213 or ITC 100.
      4)metal sheeting wouldn't last long where the flame impinges on it.
      5)probably lots more but it's bed time.

      Rupert

      --

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig
      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

      email: rwenig2@...

      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
    • Nelson Collar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013
        Drag
        The heat that you will put your furnace to make the steel lining expand more than the ITC-213 or any other coating, which will cause it to blister off. Waste of money. Also,the heat required to heat the steel will not give you the reflective heat you would get from clay. Another thing the steel will start to break down over a period of time. I have a steel crucible that is starting to show the signs of time and I will replace it when I make my new furnace, a tilting furnace with a large steel crucible.
        Hope this helped some.
        Nelson Collar