cast iron box

  • Aviragus
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2013
      I got an item from a foundry that closed. It is a cast iron box, open on the top, about the size of a lead-acid car battery. I have no clue as to what it is. Any guesses?
    • Eggleston Lance
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2013
        likely an old heat-treat box for small parts.

        ++++

        On Sep 7, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Aviragus wrote:

        I got an item from a foundry that closed. It is a cast iron box, open on the top, about the size of a lead-acid car battery. I have no clue as to what it is. Any guesses?

        __
      • grumpygrady
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2013
          sounds like a box for color case harding of parts
          a layer of old leather parts layer leather etc then seal the box and put into fire , they make really beautiful case harding part and the leather give a really nice blue and gold color
          but the way my week has being going it may have just a metal box lol
          grumpygrady

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Aviragus" <postellon@...> wrote:

          > I got an item from a foundry that closed. It is a cast iron box, open on the top, about the size of a lead-acid car battery. I have no clue as to what it is. Any guesses?

        • Daniel Postellon
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2013
            That is as good an answer as any so far.