Re: [hobbicast] Re: Is there Source of Mizzou Castable Refractory near York, PA or Baltimore MD area

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 30, 2013
      http://refwest.com/castable.aspx%c2%a0                                                                                                                                              http://www.hightemptools.com/faq.html#Satanite%c2%a0                                                                                                                       The first link is to a refractory supplier in Colorado to give you an idea of what is available and prices. You can also calculate the shipping charges. It is a long way for you but at least you can see some of the most popular refractories. This was the only source online I could find that had a price for a full bag of Satanite. I live outside of Los Angeles and I could have driven 120 miles and picked it up. The higher local price and gas cost made it only a little more expensive to have
      it shipped from Refractories West.  I also saved half a day driving in heavy traffic. The second link explains how to coat the ceramic wool with Satanite. I believe cheaper Sairbond is also used for this but it tends to flake off. If you are going to coat it with expensive ITC-100 you don't want it flaking off. This site sells the Satanite in small amounts but it costs more per pound. Best I remember Satanite is rated at 3100 F so a thin layer (1/4") coated with  ITC-100 should protect the ceramic wool. Further down the page you will find instructions for Mizzou, Kast-O-Lite 30 LI ans some ITC products.                                                                                                                                                                                    Ceramic wool has similar insulating properties to castable refractory of the same
      temperature rating. Price wise the ceramic wool will fill about twice the space as castable for the same price. The ceramic wool needs to be coated. This is extra cost and time. Also the castable is solid and can make construction simpler sometimes. Or it could be the other way around. Satanite is actually called a mortar rather than a castable. I don't know what the differences are. Over the weekend I will post some PDF files about the properties of the various castables. Carl

      Message 40 of 40 , Sep 15, 2013

        Recently someone on one of the casting groups commented that there was no such thing as a cement that can have all of the water baked out of it; I believe this was done in defense of the use of Portland cement in a homemade castable refractory. The official answer would be that the chemically locked portion of water in lime based cement cannot be baked out, but the chemically locked portion of water in refractory cements can be. I have always accepted this official version as the only reality...in the past. The limiting factors on "baking out all the water" are that the refractory must be taken to yellow heat in the first place, and that over time, water content can recollect in refractory if you're not careful to seal the refractory surfaces against water vapor in ambient air.

        However, truth of any kind is seldom found effortlessly; including technical "truths". I suspect that a healthy debate, with both sides airing their views, might adjust what the majority of us accept as practical reality--to our mutual profit; this could be important for people wanting to make insulating refractories as secondary layers. Homemade refractory as an insulating secondary layer might be quite forgiving of official standards; standards useful for hot-face layers may constitute a waste of money in secondary refractory layers.

        While casually dismissing the Portland cement idea, I have noted both resentment, and a strong hint of "I'll match your official facts with personal experience" in passing (heated) comments from the other side of this issue. Isn't it time they had a FAIR hearing; something open minded, maybe?
        Mikey