Re: [hobbicast] new article: Laser Printing to Powder Coated Sheet Aluminum

  • Dick Morris
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2013
      Somewhere on the web there is a description of a similar process for
      people like me who are really cheap. The description I followed was
      intended for making the tracks for etching circuit boards, but I used
      it for photo engraving some letters to be used for a pattern. It
      substitutes gloss magazine pages for slick paper and an iron for a
      laminator. (Hint, use thick pages, thin ones jam the printer.) A
      slightly longer description and a photo of the pattern with the photo
      engraved lettering is at
      http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86459&hilit=photo+etching
      A reminder - don't use the economy mode on the laser printer. Maybe
      it will work for you, maybe not, but it's worth trying.

      Also - for 2d cad software check out DraftSight. I like having cad
      available, but don't use it often enough to spending a lot of money
      on it. When I learned that my 10+ year old copy of Autocad Light
      wouldn't work under Windows 7 I wasn't too happy about paying a
      several hundred dollars for an upgrade. On the recommendations of
      other I downloaded DraftSight. It's free, appears to have all the
      features that my old Autocad Light had, doesn't have any of the
      features disabled, and there are a number of instructional videos on
      Youtube. Once or twice a month I get an e-mail offering their paid
      support service, but they aren't obnoxious about it.

      At 03:13 PM 8/18/2013, you wrote:
      >Ever wanted to make metal labels for your projects? You can generate the
      >artwork on your computer, but how do you get that artwork onto a metal
      >plate? Here is one answer.
      >

      >This procedure uses a laser printer, common printing paper, a plastic
      >laminator, and powder coated aluminum "coil" (flashing). The process is
      >based on work done by David Pickering.
      >

      >For the full story, please see
      >

      >http://rick.sparber.org/LPPC.pdf
      >

      >Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
      >of us.
      >

      >For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.
      >

      >Rick

      >For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
      >check out these two affiliated sites:
      >
      >Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
      >http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
      >
      >List Owner:
      >owly@...
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links