new article: Laser Printing to Powder Coated Sheet Aluminum

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18 4:13 PM
      Ever wanted to make metal labels for your projects? You can generate the
      artwork on your computer, but how do you get that artwork onto a metal
      plate? Here is one answer.

      This procedure uses a laser printer, common printing paper, a plastic
      laminator, and powder coated aluminum "coil" (flashing). The process is
      based on work done by David Pickering.

      For the full story, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/LPPC.pdf

      Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
      of us.

      For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.

      Rick

    • StoneTool
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18 6:42 PM
        Rick:
        This is really interesting and useful........... I can see dozens
        of applications. Thanks for posting that. I'm wondering if one could
        use an ordinary iron to accomplish the transfer.

        Howard

        On 08/18/2013 05:13 PM, Rick Sparber wrote:
        > Ever wanted to make metal labels for your projects? You can generate the
        > artwork on your computer, but how do you get that artwork onto a metal
        > plate? Here is one answer.
        >

        > This procedure uses a laser printer, common printing paper, a plastic
        > laminator, and powder coated aluminum "coil" (flashing). The process is
        > based on work done by David Pickering.
        >

        > For the full story, please see
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/LPPC.pdf
        >

        > Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
        > of us.
        >

        > For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.
        >

        > Rick

        > List Owner:

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18 7:12 PM
          Howard,

          Many people use irons. I've never gotten consistent results with one. You need to be at about 250° F I believe.

          Rick

          On Aug 18, 2013, at 6:42 PM, StoneTool <owly@...> wrote:

          > Rick:
          > This is really interesting and useful........... I can see dozens
          > of applications. Thanks for posting that. I'm wondering if one could
          > use an ordinary iron to accomplish the transfer.
          >
          > Howard
        • Dick Morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18 8:26 PM
            Somewhere on the web there is a description of a similar process for
            people like me who are really cheap. The description I followed was
            intended for making the tracks for etching circuit boards, but I used
            it for photo engraving some letters to be used for a pattern. It
            substitutes gloss magazine pages for slick paper and an iron for a
            laminator. (Hint, use thick pages, thin ones jam the printer.) A
            slightly longer description and a photo of the pattern with the photo
            engraved lettering is at
            http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86459&hilit=photo+etching
            A reminder - don't use the economy mode on the laser printer. Maybe
            it will work for you, maybe not, but it's worth trying.

            Also - for 2d cad software check out DraftSight. I like having cad
            available, but don't use it often enough to spending a lot of money
            on it. When I learned that my 10+ year old copy of Autocad Light
            wouldn't work under Windows 7 I wasn't too happy about paying a
            several hundred dollars for an upgrade. On the recommendations of
            other I downloaded DraftSight. It's free, appears to have all the
            features that my old Autocad Light had, doesn't have any of the
            features disabled, and there are a number of instructional videos on
            Youtube. Once or twice a month I get an e-mail offering their paid
            support service, but they aren't obnoxious about it.

            At 03:13 PM 8/18/2013, you wrote:
            >Ever wanted to make metal labels for your projects? You can generate the
            >artwork on your computer, but how do you get that artwork onto a metal
            >plate? Here is one answer.
            >

            >This procedure uses a laser printer, common printing paper, a plastic
            >laminator, and powder coated aluminum "coil" (flashing). The process is
            >based on work done by David Pickering.
            >

            >For the full story, please see
            >

            >http://rick.sparber.org/LPPC.pdf
            >

            >Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one
            >of us.
            >

            >For the full index of my articles, see rick.sparber.org.
            >

            >Rick

            >For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
            >check out these two affiliated sites:
            >
            >Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
            >http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
            >
            >List Owner:
            >owly@...
            >
            >Yahoo! Groups Links