Re: [hobbicast] Re: Finding my Way.

  • James Buchanan
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
      Here is a video of my foundry setup. I thought you all might enjoy watching it. The furnace is made of sand and fire clay according to "The Charcoal foundry" by David Gingerly ISBN-0-9604330-8-2.
      Our Library participates in interlibrary loan program. You might check with your library, if you are looking for a copy of Gingerly's article. In my case the Interlibrary loan is free.

      I chose to use a propane burner of my own design.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqk9uUOnv-w

      I hope you find it interesting

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
        James,

        Excellent story telling and very inspirational for me.

        Thanks!

        Rick

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
          Mikey,

          We are of the same mind. Just like breathing - you receive information and can give it out to others, hopefully with some improvement.

          I am a member of a few quiet but not dead BBS. Only one BBS is what I would call dysfunctional yet it is actually rather active. Very strange place to visit. The moderator holds court and the subjects ask questions and applaud when the answers are given. Any "illegal" answers from other subjects are always met with silence. Some literally refer to the moderator as "god" (small g).

          Rick

          From: Rick Sparber

          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

          Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 11:56 AM

          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

          Rick;

          Loved your posting; so much information in a few sentences. "...smelly and loud..." versus "...melt(s) aluminum very fast". Helped me to finally sum up my feelings on used oil furnaces after years of just dismissing them out of hand.

          I've never become interested in electric furnaces, simply because of where I live. Seattle has confiscatory electric rates for home owners who use anything over an arbitrary minimum. But for anyone with the right background, who lives in an area with sensible utility companies, I would recommend going with one, at least to start with.

          Mikey

          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

          Of flyasub

          Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

          Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

          I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-

          Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having recovered

          after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am now finding

          that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home workshop in one

          side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I thought up in the

          last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning stage with some

          projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body can keep up with my

          mind!

          I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity (for an

          all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and coreboxes for

          industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual casting.

          Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be

          careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from

          doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want to

          even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more

          sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!

          So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to use,

          whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening, anything

          which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw too much from

          my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you do), but possibly

          move on to bronze and even iron!

          No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads, but

          as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.

          PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,

          Will.

          ------------------------------------

          For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

          attachments.

          For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

          two affiliated sites:

          budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

          List Owner:

          owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

          ------------------------------------

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

          ------------------------------------

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • juan Sias
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
            Great video. Nice model.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
              James
              Very nice and love all the gallery to cheer you on. The Loco looks great, what a good way for a father with his sons. Looks like the older one is enjoying what he is doing. The real joy is the memories of how you did it. Keep up the wonderful work.
              Nelson Collar