RE: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
      Mikey,

      Thanks for the kind words. All of us are certainly smarter than any one of us.

      Rick

      From: Rick Sparber

      From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

      Of flyasub

      Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-

      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having recovered

      after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am now finding

      that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home workshop in one

      side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I thought up in the

      last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning stage with some

      projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body can keep up with my

      mind!

      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity (for an

      all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and coreboxes for

      industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual casting.

      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be

      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from

      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want to

      even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more

      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!

      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to use,

      whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening, anything

      which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw too much from

      my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you do), but possibly

      move on to bronze and even iron!

      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads, but

      as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.

      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,

      Will.

      ------------------------------------

      For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

      attachments.

      For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

      two affiliated sites:

      budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

      List Owner:

      owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

      ------------------------------------

      this list does not accept attachments.

      check out these two affiliated sites:

      List Owner:

      check out these two affiliated sites:

      List Owner:

    • flyasub
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
        Thanks to all you guys for the prompt replies - I have just returned
        from a weekend away and have read through all the replies, but it's
        bedtime (actually way past it!) and I'll go through it all again
        tomorrow.
        As I said before, I'm in the process of setting up a workshop in my
        garage and at the moment am getting some machinery set up, so my lathe
        etc. will take precedence for the moment and who knows I may even find
        some room for my wife's car! (got to have her on my side on these
        issues!).
        I will no doubt be back with a lot of questions after the initial stuff
        is sorted out.
        Thanks again for your initial responses.
        Will

      • mikey98118
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
          Rick,
          I started out in 2002 as a lurker on the Hobbicast news group, picking up information before designing the jeweler's furnace in Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns. The information readily available there saved a lot of time summing up what I'd learned from commercial sites on the net. It was only right to give back. I've never changed my mind about contributing, even when the groups go through "dry" periods, although it comes time to "move on" when groups fill up with the silly. I've had to do that two times in 11 years..
          Mikey

          From: Rick Sparber

          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

          Of flyasub

          Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          List Owner:

          owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

          ------------------------------------

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

          ------------------------------------

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • James Buchanan
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
            Here is a video of my foundry setup. I thought you all might enjoy watching it. The furnace is made of sand and fire clay according to "The Charcoal foundry" by David Gingerly ISBN-0-9604330-8-2.
            Our Library participates in interlibrary loan program. You might check with your library, if you are looking for a copy of Gingerly's article. In my case the Interlibrary loan is free.

            I chose to use a propane burner of my own design.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqk9uUOnv-w

            I hope you find it interesting

          • Rick Sparber
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
              James,

              Excellent story telling and very inspirational for me.

              Thanks!

              Rick

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                Mikey,

                We are of the same mind. Just like breathing - you receive information and can give it out to others, hopefully with some improvement.

                I am a member of a few quiet but not dead BBS. Only one BBS is what I would call dysfunctional yet it is actually rather active. Very strange place to visit. The moderator holds court and the subjects ask questions and applaud when the answers are given. Any "illegal" answers from other subjects are always met with silence. Some literally refer to the moderator as "god" (small g).

                From: Rick Sparber

                From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                Of flyasub

                Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                List Owner:

                owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                ------------------------------------

                this list does not accept attachments.

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

                ------------------------------------

                this list does not accept attachments.

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

              • juan Sias
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                  Great video. Nice model.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                    James
                    Very nice and love all the gallery to cheer you on. The Loco looks great, what a good way for a father with his sons. Looks like the older one is enjoying what he is doing. The real joy is the memories of how you did it. Keep up the wonderful work.
                    Nelson Collar