RE: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
      Mikey,

      Ah, we finally cross paths. I have admired your creative work with burners for a long time. A few years ago, our club, Valley Metal, had a meeting where everyone who wanted one of your burners, made one in a batch process. It was a regular production line and great fun.

      I guess electricity rates are "reasonable" here in Phoenix. We have a very large nuclear power plant nearby. But we also use a huge amount of power to run our air conditioning so a few bucks more for the furnace is not noticed.

      Rick

      From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

      Of flyasub

      Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-

      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having recovered

      after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am now finding

      that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home workshop in one

      side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I thought up in the

      last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning stage with some

      projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body can keep up with my

      mind!

      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity (for an

      all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and coreboxes for

      industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual casting.

      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be

      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from

      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want to

      even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more

      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!

      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to use,

      whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening, anything

      which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw too much from

      my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you do), but possibly

      move on to bronze and even iron!

      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads, but

      as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.

      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,

      Will.

      ------------------------------------

      For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

      attachments.

      For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

      two affiliated sites:

      budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

      List Owner:

      owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

      check out these two affiliated sites:

      List Owner:

    • mikey98118
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
        Rick,
        I have admired your group posts for a long time, too.
        Hobby groups getting together to build equipment is probably one of the best ideas going. What metal hobbies does Valley Metal get involved with? Perhaps, I could encourage another group-build to happen...

        I never actually intended to become a burner guru; just drifted into it. Alas, by the time Gas Burners was published, burner technology had worn permanent grooves in my head. My personal interests are much broader than burners; it's the equipment they fire that truly fascinates. Alas, burner questions come up far more than other equipment issues; perhaps because burners are the tools people worry over most.

        I would like to see more discussions of electric furnaces here, but have no way to encourage them. Unlike gas fired equipment, I don't see much information available about electrical hobby furnaces on the net, and this seems a shame, as they would lend themselves well to furnaces from coffee-can (at120V) to two gallon size (120V for aluminum to 240V copper based alloys).
        Mikey

        From: Rick Sparber

        From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

        Of flyasub

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
          Mikey,

          Thanks for the kind words. All of us are certainly smarter than any one of us.

          From: Rick Sparber

          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

          Of flyasub

          Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          List Owner:

          owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

          ------------------------------------

          this list does not accept attachments.

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

          check out these two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • flyasub
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
            Thanks to all you guys for the prompt replies - I have just returned
            from a weekend away and have read through all the replies, but it's
            bedtime (actually way past it!) and I'll go through it all again
            tomorrow.
            As I said before, I'm in the process of setting up a workshop in my
            garage and at the moment am getting some machinery set up, so my lathe
            etc. will take precedence for the moment and who knows I may even find
            some room for my wife's car! (got to have her on my side on these
            issues!).
            I will no doubt be back with a lot of questions after the initial stuff
            is sorted out.
            Thanks again for your initial responses.
            Will

          • mikey98118
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
              Rick,
              I started out in 2002 as a lurker on the Hobbicast news group, picking up information before designing the jeweler's furnace in Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns. The information readily available there saved a lot of time summing up what I'd learned from commercial sites on the net. It was only right to give back. I've never changed my mind about contributing, even when the groups go through "dry" periods, although it comes time to "move on" when groups fill up with the silly. I've had to do that two times in 11 years..
              Mikey

              From: Rick Sparber

              From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

              From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

              Of flyasub

              Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

              To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

              List Owner:

              owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

              ------------------------------------

              this list does not accept attachments.

              check out these two affiliated sites:

              List Owner:

              ------------------------------------

              this list does not accept attachments.

              check out these two affiliated sites:

              List Owner:

            • James Buchanan
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
                Here is a video of my foundry setup. I thought you all might enjoy watching it. The furnace is made of sand and fire clay according to "The Charcoal foundry" by David Gingerly ISBN-0-9604330-8-2.
                Our Library participates in interlibrary loan program. You might check with your library, if you are looking for a copy of Gingerly's article. In my case the Interlibrary loan is free.

                I chose to use a propane burner of my own design.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqk9uUOnv-w

                I hope you find it interesting

              • Rick Sparber
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                  James,

                  Excellent story telling and very inspirational for me.

                  Thanks!

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                    Mikey,

                    We are of the same mind. Just like breathing - you receive information and can give it out to others, hopefully with some improvement.

                    I am a member of a few quiet but not dead BBS. Only one BBS is what I would call dysfunctional yet it is actually rather active. Very strange place to visit. The moderator holds court and the subjects ask questions and applaud when the answers are given. Any "illegal" answers from other subjects are always met with silence. Some literally refer to the moderator as "god" (small g).

                    From: Rick Sparber

                    From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                    From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                    Of flyasub

                    Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                    To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                    List Owner:

                    owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                    ------------------------------------

                    this list does not accept attachments.

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                    ------------------------------------

                    this list does not accept attachments.

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                  • juan Sias
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                      Great video. Nice model.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                        James
                        Very nice and love all the gallery to cheer you on. The Loco looks great, what a good way for a father with his sons. Looks like the older one is enjoying what he is doing. The real joy is the memories of how you did it. Keep up the wonderful work.
                        Nelson Collar