RE: [hobbicast] Finding my Way.

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
      Will,

      Welcome!

      I'm a retired EE and live in a neighborhood with a very strict Home Owner's
      Association. The neighbors I know are all very nice and would not mind if
      they knew I have a foundry but I've never met the people behind us.

      I too was concerned about being "found out" when I do casting. My solution
      was to go with an electric furnace. The power controller only switches on
      "zero crossings" to minimize any radio interference. It certainly helps that
      we have block walls around the backyard about 6' tall. I used to have a
      charcoal furnace and it would be hard to detect. I've been around used oil
      furnaces and they were smelly and loud. However, they sure do melt aluminum
      fast.

      I only cast aluminum although ZA-12 melts at a lower temperature so I'm sure
      I could do that too. No interest in bronze and certainly not iron.

      Not sure where you are in your journey but the Gingery series is a great
      place to start. I've built the drill press and shaper. No better way to
      learn and have fun to boot.

      Rick
      Rick.Sparber.org

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
        Rick;
        Loved your posting; so much information in a few sentences. "...smelly and loud..." versus "...melt(s) aluminum very fast". Helped me to finally sum up my feelings on used oil furnaces after years of just dismissing them out of hand.

        I've never become interested in electric furnaces, simply because of where I live. Seattle has confiscatory electric rates for home owners who use anything over an arbitrary minimum. But for anyone with the right background, who lives in an area with sensible utility companies, I would recommend going with one, at least to start with.
        Mikey

        From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

        Of flyasub

        Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

        To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        ------------------------------------

        For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

        attachments.

        For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

        two affiliated sites:

        budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

        List Owner:

        owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

      • mikey98118
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
          Rick just gave you some excellent suggestions. If you're worried about neighbors and thinking "stealth," you can't do better than electric. If (when) you're discovered, electric will also sit better with the local fire marshal, should he become involved, than propane. However, if you plan to step up from aluminum to bronze, you will quickly leave electric behind. That said, your neighbors don't need to know that you have a small gas fired furnace, if you simply don't update them after transferring to propane.

          It may take a couple of years before your neighbors get wind of what you're doing, but they will, regardless of how quiet you are about it. Some people live to stick their noses where they don't belong, and those same people also love to wag their tongues. If you only do occasional projects, you might last five years before everyone knows your business.

          This brings up the timely subject of furnace size. The larger your furnace, the more tongues will wag; the smaller the less. There are coffee-can furnaces, which don't upset visitors like large furnaces do (oh look George; isn't that just the cutest thing you ever saw?); its the difference between fascination and worry. You won't be making much tooling with a C-C furnace, though. The next larger couple of furnace sizes (two and five gallon respectively) are quite stealthy if someone has carefully misdirected his neighbors with a coffee-can furnace first...

          You should know that smell from a properly working gas fired furnace is nil; noise is a different matter. Well built burners are nowhere near as noisy as old styles, and there noise is pretty well absorbed by the furnace interior; however, the exit hole can become a lessor source of noise, UNLESS you make the opening extra large and cover it with a baffle plate (6" diameter circular kiln shelf, held at about one-inch above exit).

          Can't go much further without questions from you.
          Mikey

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
            Mikey,

            Ah, we finally cross paths. I have admired your creative work with burners for a long time. A few years ago, our club, Valley Metal, had a meeting where everyone who wanted one of your burners, made one in a batch process. It was a regular production line and great fun.

            I guess electricity rates are "reasonable" here in Phoenix. We have a very large nuclear power plant nearby. But we also use a huge amount of power to run our air conditioning so a few bucks more for the furnace is not noticed.

            From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

            Of flyasub

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
              Rick,
              I have admired your group posts for a long time, too.
              Hobby groups getting together to build equipment is probably one of the best ideas going. What metal hobbies does Valley Metal get involved with? Perhaps, I could encourage another group-build to happen...

              I never actually intended to become a burner guru; just drifted into it. Alas, by the time Gas Burners was published, burner technology had worn permanent grooves in my head. My personal interests are much broader than burners; it's the equipment they fire that truly fascinates. Alas, burner questions come up far more than other equipment issues; perhaps because burners are the tools people worry over most.

              I would like to see more discussions of electric furnaces here, but have no way to encourage them. Unlike gas fired equipment, I don't see much information available about electrical hobby furnaces on the net, and this seems a shame, as they would lend themselves well to furnaces from coffee-can (at120V) to two gallon size (120V for aluminum to 240V copper based alloys).
              Mikey

              From: Rick Sparber

              From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

              Of flyasub

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                Mikey,

                Thanks for the kind words. All of us are certainly smarter than any one of us.

                From: Rick Sparber

                From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                Of flyasub

                Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                List Owner:

                owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                ------------------------------------

                this list does not accept attachments.

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

              • flyasub
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                  Thanks to all you guys for the prompt replies - I have just returned
                  from a weekend away and have read through all the replies, but it's
                  bedtime (actually way past it!) and I'll go through it all again
                  tomorrow.
                  As I said before, I'm in the process of setting up a workshop in my
                  garage and at the moment am getting some machinery set up, so my lathe
                  etc. will take precedence for the moment and who knows I may even find
                  some room for my wife's car! (got to have her on my side on these
                  issues!).
                  I will no doubt be back with a lot of questions after the initial stuff
                  is sorted out.
                  Thanks again for your initial responses.
                  Will

                • mikey98118
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
                    Rick,
                    I started out in 2002 as a lurker on the Hobbicast news group, picking up information before designing the jeweler's furnace in Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns. The information readily available there saved a lot of time summing up what I'd learned from commercial sites on the net. It was only right to give back. I've never changed my mind about contributing, even when the groups go through "dry" periods, although it comes time to "move on" when groups fill up with the silly. I've had to do that two times in 11 years..
                    Mikey

                    From: Rick Sparber

                    From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                    From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                    Of flyasub

                    Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                    To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                    List Owner:

                    owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                    ------------------------------------

                    this list does not accept attachments.

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                    ------------------------------------

                    this list does not accept attachments.

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                  • James Buchanan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
                      Here is a video of my foundry setup. I thought you all might enjoy watching it. The furnace is made of sand and fire clay according to "The Charcoal foundry" by David Gingerly ISBN-0-9604330-8-2.
                      Our Library participates in interlibrary loan program. You might check with your library, if you are looking for a copy of Gingerly's article. In my case the Interlibrary loan is free.

                      I chose to use a propane burner of my own design.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqk9uUOnv-w

                      I hope you find it interesting

                    • Rick Sparber
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                        James,

                        Excellent story telling and very inspirational for me.

                        Thanks!

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                          Mikey,

                          We are of the same mind. Just like breathing - you receive information and can give it out to others, hopefully with some improvement.

                          I am a member of a few quiet but not dead BBS. Only one BBS is what I would call dysfunctional yet it is actually rather active. Very strange place to visit. The moderator holds court and the subjects ask questions and applaud when the answers are given. Any "illegal" answers from other subjects are always met with silence. Some literally refer to the moderator as "god" (small g).

                          From: Rick Sparber

                          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                          From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                          Of flyasub

                          Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                          List Owner:

                          owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                          ------------------------------------

                          this list does not accept attachments.

                          check out these two affiliated sites:

                          List Owner:

                          ------------------------------------

                          this list does not accept attachments.

                          check out these two affiliated sites:

                          List Owner:

                          check out these two affiliated sites:

                          List Owner:

                        • juan Sias
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                            Great video. Nice model.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                              James
                              Very nice and love all the gallery to cheer you on. The Loco looks great, what a good way for a father with his sons. Looks like the older one is enjoying what he is doing. The real joy is the memories of how you did it. Keep up the wonderful work.
                              Nelson Collar