Finding my Way.

  • flyasub
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2013
      I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-
      Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having
      recovered after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am
      now finding that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home
      workshop in one side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I
      thought up in the last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning
      stage with some projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body
      can keep up with my mind!
      I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity
      (for an all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and
      coreboxes for industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual
      casting.
      Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be
      careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from
      doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want
      to even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more
      sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!
      So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to
      use, whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening,
      anything which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw
      too much from my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you
      do), but possibly move on to bronze and even iron!
      No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads,
      but as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.
      PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,
      Will.

    • rogers92026
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
        Welcome to the group, Will.

        I think that you have a leg up on me and a few others with your experience in making foundry patterns. There are lots of great people on this forum that will provide guidance on request and will help you solve a problem or two.

        Starting with aluminum is easy and is a great way to get into the hobby.

        Since you are concerned with possibly irritating your neighbors, you may want to consider using an electric kiln for melting the aluminum. It is somewhat slow, but it is noiseless and virtually odorless.

        I picked up a couple of kilns for either nothing or next to nothing on Craigs list. The free ones sometimes need new elements but that it generally pretty easy to fix. Also, a cheap/free electric kiln is a great way to get a whole bunch of K23 or K26 (2600 degree F) lightweight refractory bricks. I've been happily using an electric kiln for about 7 years with the intention of partially switching to propane ("when I get a round tuit").

        When I'm doing a casting session, I typically turn on the kiln and then ram up my pattern while it is heating. 45 minutes to an hour after turn-on I'm pouring. After my first melt, the subsequent melts can be done in about half the time. My favorite kiln is the smallest and only melts about 2.2 pounds of Al. The biggest kiln will accept full size aluminum car wheels for "hot-shorting" (breaking down).

        If you decide to go with a gas burner, there are several designs and some good books by Mike Porter (a member/author here).

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "flyasub" <flyasub@...> wrote:

        > I have just joined this forum so I guess I'd better introduce myself :-
        > Having recently retired from engineering ("hands on"), and having
        > recovered after being hospitalised a lot in the last 2 years or so, I am
        > now finding that I miss everything, so I'm attempting to set up a home
        > workshop in one side of my garage, hoping to try all the crazy stuff I
        > thought up in the last 50 years or so - it may not get past the planning
        > stage with some projects, but it'll all be fun, ie. so long as my body
        > can keep up with my mind!
        > I have always been interested in casting since I had the opportunity
        > (for an all too brief period) to design and make foundry patterns and
        > coreboxes for industrial valves, but never found the time to try actual
        > casting.
        > Now I'm living in an area, quite close to other people so I want to be
        > careful not to annoy my neighbours and get myself completely banned from
        > doing any foundry work - the legality debate is something I don't want
        > to even think about! - I think that barking dogs would probably get more
        > sympathy than I would if I got on the wrong side of the neighbours!
        > So, I really have to think carefully about what sort of furnace type to
        > use, whether to bake my cores or to use the Co2 method for hardening,
        > anything which will not draw too much attention to my efforts, (or draw
        > too much from my wallet! ).I will probably start with aluminium (as you
        > do), but possibly move on to bronze and even iron!
        > No doubt all this has been discussed many times before in other threads,
        > but as I said, I'm new here and I will welcome any sensible suggestions.
        > PS. I will be away this weekend so may not be able to reply till Monday,
        > Will.

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
          Will,

          Welcome!

          I'm a retired EE and live in a neighborhood with a very strict Home Owner's
          Association. The neighbors I know are all very nice and would not mind if
          they knew I have a foundry but I've never met the people behind us.

          I too was concerned about being "found out" when I do casting. My solution
          was to go with an electric furnace. The power controller only switches on
          "zero crossings" to minimize any radio interference. It certainly helps that
          we have block walls around the backyard about 6' tall. I used to have a
          charcoal furnace and it would be hard to detect. I've been around used oil
          furnaces and they were smelly and loud. However, they sure do melt aluminum
          fast.

          I only cast aluminum although ZA-12 melts at a lower temperature so I'm sure
          I could do that too. No interest in bronze and certainly not iron.

          Not sure where you are in your journey but the Gingery series is a great
          place to start. I've built the drill press and shaper. No better way to
          learn and have fun to boot.

          Rick
          Rick.Sparber.org

[...]

          For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these
          two affiliated sites:

          List Owner:

        • mikey98118
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
            Rick;
            Loved your posting; so much information in a few sentences. "...smelly and loud..." versus "...melt(s) aluminum very fast". Helped me to finally sum up my feelings on used oil furnaces after years of just dismissing them out of hand.

            I've never become interested in electric furnaces, simply because of where I live. Seattle has confiscatory electric rates for home owners who use anything over an arbitrary minimum. But for anyone with the right background, who lives in an area with sensible utility companies, I would recommend going with one, at least to start with.
            Mikey

            From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

            Of flyasub

            Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

            To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

            ------------------------------------

            For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues this list does not accept

            attachments.

            For additional files and photos and off topic discussions check out these

            two affiliated sites:

            budgetcastingsupply.com/" target=_blank>http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

            List Owner:

            owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

          • mikey98118
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
              Rick just gave you some excellent suggestions. If you're worried about neighbors and thinking "stealth," you can't do better than electric. If (when) you're discovered, electric will also sit better with the local fire marshal, should he become involved, than propane. However, if you plan to step up from aluminum to bronze, you will quickly leave electric behind. That said, your neighbors don't need to know that you have a small gas fired furnace, if you simply don't update them after transferring to propane.

              It may take a couple of years before your neighbors get wind of what you're doing, but they will, regardless of how quiet you are about it. Some people live to stick their noses where they don't belong, and those same people also love to wag their tongues. If you only do occasional projects, you might last five years before everyone knows your business.

              This brings up the timely subject of furnace size. The larger your furnace, the more tongues will wag; the smaller the less. There are coffee-can furnaces, which don't upset visitors like large furnaces do (oh look George; isn't that just the cutest thing you ever saw?); its the difference between fascination and worry. You won't be making much tooling with a C-C furnace, though. The next larger couple of furnace sizes (two and five gallon respectively) are quite stealthy if someone has carefully misdirected his neighbors with a coffee-can furnace first...

              You should know that smell from a properly working gas fired furnace is nil; noise is a different matter. Well built burners are nowhere near as noisy as old styles, and there noise is pretty well absorbed by the furnace interior; however, the exit hole can become a lessor source of noise, UNLESS you make the opening extra large and cover it with a baffle plate (6" diameter circular kiln shelf, held at about one-inch above exit).

              Can't go much further without questions from you.
              Mikey

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                Mikey,

                Ah, we finally cross paths. I have admired your creative work with burners for a long time. A few years ago, our club, Valley Metal, had a meeting where everyone who wanted one of your burners, made one in a batch process. It was a regular production line and great fun.

                I guess electricity rates are "reasonable" here in Phoenix. We have a very large nuclear power plant nearby. But we also use a huge amount of power to run our air conditioning so a few bucks more for the furnace is not noticed.

                From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                Of flyasub

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 2, 2013
                  Rick,
                  I have admired your group posts for a long time, too.
                  Hobby groups getting together to build equipment is probably one of the best ideas going. What metal hobbies does Valley Metal get involved with? Perhaps, I could encourage another group-build to happen...

                  I never actually intended to become a burner guru; just drifted into it. Alas, by the time Gas Burners was published, burner technology had worn permanent grooves in my head. My personal interests are much broader than burners; it's the equipment they fire that truly fascinates. Alas, burner questions come up far more than other equipment issues; perhaps because burners are the tools people worry over most.

                  I would like to see more discussions of electric furnaces here, but have no way to encourage them. Unlike gas fired equipment, I don't see much information available about electrical hobby furnaces on the net, and this seems a shame, as they would lend themselves well to furnaces from coffee-can (at120V) to two gallon size (120V for aluminum to 240V copper based alloys).
                  Mikey

                  From: Rick Sparber

                  From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                  Of flyasub

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2013
                    Mikey,

                    Thanks for the kind words. All of us are certainly smarter than any one of us.

                    From: Rick Sparber

                    From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                    Of flyasub

                    Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                    To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                    List Owner:

                    owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                    ------------------------------------

                    this list does not accept attachments.

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                    check out these two affiliated sites:

                    List Owner:

                  • flyasub
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2013
                      Thanks to all you guys for the prompt replies - I have just returned
                      from a weekend away and have read through all the replies, but it's
                      bedtime (actually way past it!) and I'll go through it all again
                      tomorrow.
                      As I said before, I'm in the process of setting up a workshop in my
                      garage and at the moment am getting some machinery set up, so my lathe
                      etc. will take precedence for the moment and who knows I may even find
                      some room for my wife's car! (got to have her on my side on these
                      issues!).
                      I will no doubt be back with a lot of questions after the initial stuff
                      is sorted out.
                      Thanks again for your initial responses.
                      Will

                    • mikey98118
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
                        Rick,
                        I started out in 2002 as a lurker on the Hobbicast news group, picking up information before designing the jeweler's furnace in Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, & Kilns. The information readily available there saved a lot of time summing up what I'd learned from commercial sites on the net. It was only right to give back. I've never changed my mind about contributing, even when the groups go through "dry" periods, although it comes time to "move on" when groups fill up with the silly. I've had to do that two times in 11 years..
                        Mikey

                        From: Rick Sparber

                        From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                        From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                        Of flyasub

                        Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                        To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                        List Owner:

                        owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                        ------------------------------------

                        this list does not accept attachments.

                        check out these two affiliated sites:

                        List Owner:

                        ------------------------------------

                        this list does not accept attachments.

                        check out these two affiliated sites:

                        List Owner:

                      • James Buchanan
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 5, 2013
                          Here is a video of my foundry setup. I thought you all might enjoy watching it. The furnace is made of sand and fire clay according to "The Charcoal foundry" by David Gingerly ISBN-0-9604330-8-2.
                          Our Library participates in interlibrary loan program. You might check with your library, if you are looking for a copy of Gingerly's article. In my case the Interlibrary loan is free.

                          I chose to use a propane burner of my own design.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqk9uUOnv-w

                          I hope you find it interesting

                        • Rick Sparber
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                            James,

                            Excellent story telling and very inspirational for me.

                            Thanks!

                            Rick

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                              Mikey,

                              We are of the same mind. Just like breathing - you receive information and can give it out to others, hopefully with some improvement.

                              I am a member of a few quiet but not dead BBS. Only one BBS is what I would call dysfunctional yet it is actually rather active. Very strange place to visit. The moderator holds court and the subjects ask questions and applaud when the answers are given. Any "illegal" answers from other subjects are always met with silence. Some literally refer to the moderator as "god" (small g).

                              From: Rick Sparber

                              From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of michael.a.porter%40comcast.net" target=_blank>michael.a.porter@...

                              From: mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank>hobbicast@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hobbicast@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

                              Of flyasub

                              Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:00 PM

                              To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

[...]

                              List Owner:

                              owly%40ttc-cmc.net" target=_blank>owly@...

                              ------------------------------------

                              this list does not accept attachments.

                              check out these two affiliated sites:

                              List Owner:

                              ------------------------------------

                              this list does not accept attachments.

                              check out these two affiliated sites:

                              List Owner:

                              check out these two affiliated sites:

                              List Owner:

                            • juan Sias
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 6, 2013
                                Great video. Nice model.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 8, 2013
                                  James
                                  Very nice and love all the gallery to cheer you on. The Loco looks great, what a good way for a father with his sons. Looks like the older one is enjoying what he is doing. The real joy is the memories of how you did it. Keep up the wonderful work.
                                  Nelson Collar