Tire tread as fuel?

  • Bob Colquitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
      For the last 3 years I've been driving between Chattanooga & Nashville
      tending my late father's house.

      AND, my accumulation of diecast, zinc alloy, is at the stage of
      converting to ZA12 or the latest alloy which is, IIRC, 5% alum & 5%
      copper [Generous Motors special] - rest zinc.

      Can the tire tread scattered about, be chopped up, & used to supplement
      charcoal [more heat?] in a furnace with forced air?

      Seems to me I read tire tread can be used in a fluidized bed with coal.

      OR, are there more nasty chemicals in the tire tread to make zinc fuming
      only a minor PITA?

      Thanks for any info!

      -=- Bob Colquitt
    • rogers92026
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
        Hello Bob,

        Before you start converting your scrap to ZA12, make sure to double check the percentages using some google searches. I think that you are high on the copper and low on the aluminum.

        I've read about various companies using tires for fuel. Like for manufacturing Portland cement which takes a lot of energy. I've tried cutting tires up with a variety of saws - - saber, reciprocal, circular and have had rather poor results even using soap as a lubricant. The blade really binds against the high-friction rubber. If you can come up with a way to shred the tires into small pieces, perhaps it might work.

        There are a lot of articles on the internet about Tire Derived Fuels (TDF) and it contains more energy per pound than coal. As you mention, the users typically blend the tire material in with coal. But from what I've read, it is also a much dirtier and smellier fuel than even coal. If you have neighbors next door, you might not be very popular with them once you start burning tires.

        BTW, if you use nitrous oxide and tires, you will have a type of rocket fuel. ;-)

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Bob Colquitt <wahsatch@...> wrote:

        > For the last 3 years I've been driving between Chattanooga & Nashville
        > tending my late father's house.
        >
        > AND, my accumulation of diecast, zinc alloy, is at the stage of
        > converting to ZA12 or the latest alloy which is, IIRC, 5% alum & 5%
        > copper [Generous Motors special] - rest zinc.
        >
        > Can the tire tread scattered about, be chopped up, & used to supplement
        > charcoal [more heat?] in a furnace with forced air?
        >
        > Seems to me I read tire tread can be used in a fluidized bed with coal.
        >
        > OR, are there more nasty chemicals in the tire tread to make zinc fuming
        > only a minor PITA?
        >
        > Thanks for any info!
        >
        > -=- Bob Colquitt

      • kabowers336
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
          On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 19:20:56 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hello Bob,
          >
          >Before you start converting your scrap to ZA12, make sure to double check the percentages using some google searches. I think that you are high on the copper and low on the aluminum.
          >
          >I've read about various companies using tires for fuel. Like for manufacturing Portland cement which takes a lot of energy. I've tried cutting tires up with a variety of saws - - saber, reciprocal, circular and have had rather poor results even using soap as a lubricant. The blade really binds against the high-friction rubber. If you can come up with a way to shred the tires into small pieces, perhaps it might work.
          >
          >There are a lot of articles on the internet about Tire Derived Fuels (TDF) and it contains more energy per pound than coal. As you mention, the users typically blend the tire material in with coal. But from what I've read, it is also a much dirtier and smellier fuel than even coal. If you have neighbors next door, you might not be very popular with them once you start burning tires.
          >
          >BTW, if you use nitrous oxide and tires, you will have a type of rocket fuel. ;-)

          Back in the 1950's, before steel belted radials were common,
          I knew a guy who got scrap rubber "shavings" from one of
          the local tire recappers. IIRC it was about 20 mesh. The
          machine they used to remove the old tread was a spiked
          wheel about 2.5" wide and 4-5" in diameter mounted on the shaft of a motor.
          IIRC the spikes were around 1/4" long.

          Of course, back in those days there were no guards at all.
          If you goofed and got a body part it would shred you.

          The rubber shavings were used to fire green brushpiles.
          Talk about a HOT fire!!

          Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
        • StoneTool
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
            Burning tires presents a unique problem......... The heat of the
            fire causes gassification of the rubber at a far faster rate than you
            can supply oxygen to burn the gasses. Supply oxygen (air), and the rate
            or gassification simply increases as the fire gets hotter....... the
            result is incomplete combustion and lots of smoke as we all know from
            having seen rubber burn

            The solution is fairly simple......... You burn in two stages.
            The first stage produces heat and gasses (smoke), and the second stage
            burns those gasses far enough away from the first stage that it doesn't
            contribute to the gassification process.

            A third and very viable alternative is to break down the tires with
            heat, but to condense the condensible gasses into a liquid to be burned
            later. Those gasses that will not condense are simply fed into the fuel
            stream that is being used to break down the rubber.

            This allows a very controllable combustion when you are using the
            heat for something like your metal casting, and allows you to batch
            process the rubber which for obvious reasons is preferable to firing up
            a rubber burner every time you need the heat.

            The non-consumable materials in tires is significant....... A lot
            of steel belting mainly.

            The logical way to "render" tires for combustion is with a
            hydraulic shear. Rotating blades don't work well due to the heat
            created. Sharp blades work very well.

            Interestingly, I once ran a Ford V8 on rubber vapor for about 15
            minutes just to prove that it could be done. I built a small chamber
            from a piece of pipe with one end welded in, and one that bolted on, and
            put cut up inner tubes in the chamber. One end had a pipe fitting and
            short steel line with a valve on the end. I heated the chamber with a
            weed burner to get the rubber to vaporize, and once I had a stream of
            vapor, I fed it into the top of the carb and started the engine,
            regulating the flow with the valve. A friend ran the weed burner, and
            made sure I had pressure, but not too much. I of course didn't have
            any load on the engine, but I ran it up to about 3000 on the tach, and
            held it there awhile, and moved up and down the range. The engine was
            sitting on the shop floor with water plumbed from a faucet for cooling
            as we often did with engines we were playing with. Needless to say, both
            doors were open so I had "flow thru ventilation" to avoid stinking the
            shop up. The exhaust smell didn't give any indication that rubber was
            the fuel.

            Howard

            On 07/05/2013 01:20 PM, rogers92026 wrote:
            > Hello Bob,
            >
            > Before you start converting your scrap to ZA12, make sure to double check the percentages using some google searches. I think that you are high on the copper and low on the aluminum.
            >
            > I've read about various companies using tires for fuel. Like for manufacturing Portland cement which takes a lot of energy. I've tried cutting tires up with a variety of saws - - saber, reciprocal, circular and have had rather poor results even using soap as a lubricant. The blade really binds against the high-friction rubber. If you can come up with a way to shred the tires into small pieces, perhaps it might work.
            >
            > There are a lot of articles on the internet about Tire Derived Fuels (TDF) and it contains more energy per pound than coal. As you mention, the users typically blend the tire material in with coal. But from what I've read, it is also a much dirtier and smellier fuel than even coal. If you have neighbors next door, you might not be very popular with them once you start burning tires.
            >
            > BTW, if you use nitrous oxide and tires, you will have a type of rocket fuel. ;-)
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Bob Colquitt <wahsatch@...> wrote:
            >> For the last 3 years I've been driving between Chattanooga & Nashville
            >> tending my late father's house.
            >>
            >> AND, my accumulation of diecast, zinc alloy, is at the stage of
            >> converting to ZA12 or the latest alloy which is, IIRC, 5% alum & 5%
            >> copper [Generous Motors special] - rest zinc.
            >>
            >> Can the tire tread scattered about, be chopped up, & used to supplement
            >> charcoal [more heat?] in a furnace with forced air?
            >>
            >> Seems to me I read tire tread can be used in a fluidized bed with coal.
            >>
            >> OR, are there more nasty chemicals in the tire tread to make zinc fuming
            >> only a minor PITA?
            >>
            >> Thanks for any info!
            >>
            >> -=- Bob Colquitt

            > List Owner:

          • dhlh1984
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2013
              Bob,

              Which is your home town. If Chattanooga I would like to visit you when you do a melt. I'm just building a furnace and would like to see an operation before I cook myself.

              D.Hair