Re: [hobbicast] Drip oil pan furnace

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
      They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks Carl

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
        Hi lance.

        I feed from a refillable jug with a barbed fitting, through plastic hose/needle valve, connected to a piece of brake line, that passes horizontally through a groove in the hearth, and just drips into the pan. The hearth can be portland/sand mix because it doesn't get that hot. Currently have 4 rebars as a grate but a plinth block island or ceramic tube can act as a stand for your crucible. The inverted bucket with refractory lining sits on the hearth. There's a sketch in my folder.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
          Hi Carl.

          See sketch in my folder. Currently making crucibles; no photos of the furnace yet.

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Carl <carl_r2000@...> wrote:

          > They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks Carl
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Eggleston Lance
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
            Can't find a folder with your name attached.

            Will you provide a URL?

            lance
            ++++

            On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:13 PM, germeten wrote:

            > Hi Carl.
            >
            > See sketch in my folder.

          • Carl
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013

              Can't find a folder with your name attached.

              Will you provide a URL?

              lance
              ++++

              On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:13 PM, germeten wrote:

              > Hi Carl.
              >
              > See sketch in my folder.

            • Eggleston Lance
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
                Thanks for the link.

                Looks simple enough to build,
                I have all the parts.

                Maybe next week.

                lance
                ++++

                On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Carl wrote:

                > It is in the files under "Dean's stuff". Carl

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
                  http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me6.htm%c2%a0   From the drawing it appears the metal brake line runs through the flame and would heat up and clog fairly quickly. Maybe fix it so it enters from the bottom. Around 30 years ago Mother Earth News came up with a design for an oil burner that was drip fed into a pan. Apparently there were several problems with it. Around 2006 Roger Sanders improved this design and posted it for free on the net. Trying to find it I see he now has a 2nd edition that he is selling for $22.50 as an E-Book. I have the original free version (less pictures). I could copy and paste that here if the group owner thinks it would be appropriate. Also I found a guy that built a furnace using Roger Sander's upgraded design and put it on the net. Here is the link:    http://housedouche.wordpress.com/2009/12/29/mother-earth-news-waste-oil-heater/%c2%a0  I didn't have time to sort through all this info but I hope
                  it will be helpful for the current projects. Carl

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 23, 2013
                    In my design the brake line just breaks over the lip into the pan (a clip holds it on the lip) the area around the pan is just circulating air so no, the feed line isn't exposed to any flame, at most just the orifice to the pan, and yes it could be plumbed in beneath the oil surface. Anyway my crucibles are drying before firing so maybe I'll have some pics for you guys in a few weeks.

                    Best regards,

                    dean