Drip oil pan furnace

  • germeten
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi all.

      Last year I built a foundry/kiln in a small 20 gal garbage can, lined with fireclay & pearlite, with Fe/K-silicate hotface. The burner was also homemade and uses propane as a warmer and then about 2 liters of WVO per hour. I kept breaking pottery because is hard to control the heat; also difficult to keep going on just oil, despite filtering, the organics tend to clog the nozzle over time, and then makes stinky smoke. A neighbor across the alley called the fire dept who arrived in full regalia, with 4 cops.

      So I bought an electric kiln, but not before coming up with a oil drip-pan furnace that really kicks butt. A small circular hearth that contains the oil pan/bowl, rebar rods as horizontal supports for crucible or muffle, an inverted steel bucket with a hole in the top, lined like the first furnace. An askance hole in the hearth takes a steel pipe that feeds air in from a vacuum cleaner motor, governed by a fan motor speed controller. I've never run it full bore, even at half throttle the rotating flame exits out the top like a Cecil B DeMills pillar 2 feet tall, more like a laser, which led me to consider adding a second story bucket to the furnace.

      The point of this furnace was something small enough to fit in my living room fireplace to do experiments melting salts and small amounts of precious metals in the winter time. It's a tight fit,
      to lift covers, add material, etc. and things have to run to completion and fully cool before removal. Still I'm satisfied. I am sure this thing will melt glass and probably steel. I've only run it for 10 minutes, the outer shell gets pretty hot with only 1.5 inches
      of insulation.

      An alternative crucible stand might be a plinth block island in the center of the oil pan, or a verticle piece of ceramic pipe. I just thought I'd mention this design to see what you guys thought. Frankly I was glad to get away from the complexity of compressors, gas & oil burners.
    • Eggleston Lance
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
        How do you feed the oil to the pan?
        How do you light the WVO?
        Pre heat with kero.... or
        Do you burn straight filtered WVO or a kero/diesel blend?

        I am looking for a design to make a furnace
        to melt cast iron.

        lance
        ++++
        On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:08 PM, germeten wrote:

        > An alternative crucible stand might be a plinth block island in the center of the oil pan, or a verticle piece of ceramic pipe. I just thought I'd mention this design to see what you guys thought. Frankly I was glad to get away from the complexity of compressors, gas & oil burners.

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
          They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Thanks Carl

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
            Hi lance.

            I feed from a refillable jug with a barbed fitting, through plastic hose/needle valve, connected to a piece of brake line, that passes horizontally through a groove in the hearth, and just drips into the pan. The hearth can be portland/sand mix because it doesn't get that hot. Currently have 4 rebars as a grate but a plinth block island or ceramic tube can act as a stand for your crucible. The inverted bucket with refractory lining sits on the hearth. There's a sketch in my folder.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
              Hi Carl.

              See sketch in my folder. Currently making crucibles; no photos of the furnace yet.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
                Can't find a folder with your name attached.

                Will you provide a URL?

                lance
                ++++

                On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:13 PM, germeten wrote:

                > Hi Carl.
                >
                > See sketch in my folder.

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013

                  Can't find a folder with your name attached.

                  Will you provide a URL?

                  lance
                  ++++

                  On Jun 16, 2013, at 10:13 PM, germeten wrote:

                  > Hi Carl.
                  >
                  > See sketch in my folder.

                • Eggleston Lance
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Thanks for the link.

                    Looks simple enough to build,
                    I have all the parts.

                    Maybe next week.

                    lance
                    ++++

                    On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Carl wrote:

                    > It is in the files under "Dean's stuff". Carl

                  • Carl
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
                      http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me6.htm%c2%a0   From the drawing it appears the metal brake line runs through the flame and would heat up and clog fairly quickly. Maybe fix it so it enters from the bottom. Around 30 years ago Mother Earth News came up with a design for an oil burner that was drip fed into a pan. Apparently there were several problems with it. Around 2006 Roger Sanders improved this design and posted it for free on the net. Trying to find it I see he now has a 2nd edition that he is selling for $22.50 as an E-Book. I have the original free version (less pictures). I could copy and paste that here if the group owner thinks it would be appropriate. Also I found a guy that built a furnace using Roger Sander's upgraded design and put it on the net. Here is the link:    http://housedouche.wordpress.com/2009/12/29/mother-earth-news-waste-oil-heater/%c2%a0  I didn't have time to sort through all this info but I hope
                      it will be helpful for the current projects. Carl

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 23, 2013
                        In my design the brake line just breaks over the lip into the pan (a clip holds it on the lip) the area around the pan is just circulating air so no, the feed line isn't exposed to any flame, at most just the orifice to the pan, and yes it could be plumbed in beneath the oil surface. Anyway my crucibles are drying before firing so maybe I'll have some pics for you guys in a few weeks.

                        Best regards,

                        dean