Iron Investment

    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2013
      Greetings,

      Can anyone recommend a source for investment for iron castings?

      Thanks,

      Jeshua Lacock
      Founder/Engineer
      3DTOPO Incorporated
      <http://3DTOPO.com>
      Phone: 208.462.4171
    • bs190815
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2013
        Here are several, never tried them, but they are for high temps.

        http://www.ransom-randolph.com/html/industrial_mold_products.html

        http://www.ransom-randolph.com/jewelry/high_temperature_mold_materials.html

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Can anyone recommend a source for investment for iron castings?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jeshua Lacock
        > Founder/Engineer
        > 3DTOPO Incorporated
        > <http://3DTOPO.com>
        > Phone: 208.462.4171

      • Kerri Duncan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2013
          Jeshua- platinum casting is done above Iron temps- about 350-900 F above. So any of the platinum casting investments will work. I have used Ransom and Randolph for all gold and silver investments I use- and have had great results.

          Kerr also makes a good investment some swear by.

          If you have never used jewelry grade investment- please make sure to follow the water ratios for mixing.

          If you are using it for Iron, try referencing the manufacturer by email. I did several non-standard alloy melts with non-precious metals for a client and the guys at Ransom/Randolph were more than helpful. They referred me to a few papers from the Santa Fe Symposium that hit on exactly I needed.

          Just my experience.

          Kerri