Re: [hobbicast] Waste oil siphon burner build step-by-step

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2013
      Lance:Hard fire bricks stand up well to harsh conditions and will take a lot of heat. The problem if they are an extremely poor insulator and create a huge heat-sink. The only reason to use them for the outer layer would be if your furnace was in a permanent place and you used them instead of a steel outer shell. Even in that application they would be a waste as the inner layers should provide the insulation. They wouldn't get hot and regular masonry bricks would work just as well. Maybe I am misunderstanding you and you are planning to use them next to the fire. That would be even worse. Leon who posts on the Castinghobby group built a furnace with fire brick on the inside. It took a very long time to heat up and never reached the temperatures he wanted. He now has a great tilting furnace insulated with 2600 degree soft bricks. He can heat a large amount of cast iron rather quickly. He is heating the bricks well beyond their rating but they have held
      up well after many melts. That is probably because the temperature rating has to do with expansion rather than melting point of the refractory. The bricks are individual pieces and can move a little without cracking. 2600 Degree solid castable might not work as well at cast iron melting temperatures. I would use Kast-O_Lite 30. It has good insulation and will work for melting iron. Especially if coated with ITC-100. The heavy 3000 degree refractory isn't near as bad as the fire brick but it is a worse insulator and a greater heat-sink than the lite castable. Also you need less bags of the lite. The Kaowool is about half the cost of the castable or soft bricks for the space filled. Because it is lighter it is cheaper if you need it shipped. It is also a real good insulator. Foe an iron melter the 2300 degree might hold up better. Carl