Waste oil siphon burner build step-by-step

  • evildrome_boozerama
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18, 2013
      Hi All,

      I recently bought a 1GPH Hago oil siphon nozzle to make a waste oil burner for my furnace.

      As I could not find good information on how to turn the nozzle into a burner I decided to video my own efforts.

      Video 1: http://youtu.be/hpnYwxjkeBY

      Video 2: http://youtu.be/OGqPy7O6_Xo

      Cheers,

      Wilson.
    • Les
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18, 2013
        Hi Wilson,
        Did you find a supplier for the syphon nozzle in the UK or did you have to get it from the US ? I have been thinking of using one of these after seeing this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-A8uoWdBB8 and seeing an oil burner that looks like it uses one of these nozzles on Ebay (Item 121075446817 Ebay UK) At the moment I am attempting to make a spray nozzle but I do not think it will work as well as the Hago Delavan nozzle. Thanks for creating the videos. Look forward to seeing one of it in action.
        Les.

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "evildrome_boozerama" <wilson@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I recently bought a 1GPH Hago oil siphon nozzle to make a waste oil burner for my furnace.
        >
        > As I could not find good information on how to turn the nozzle into a burner I decided to video my own efforts.
        >
        > Video 1: http://youtu.be/hpnYwxjkeBY
        >
        > Video 2: http://youtu.be/OGqPy7O6_Xo
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Wilson.

      • evildrome_boozerama
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2013
          Hi Les,

          I have melted with it already. It has reduced my melt time from 45 mins to under 25. And the fuel is free unlike propane which was costing me an arm & a leg.

          I made a very concerted effort to find a siphon nozzle made by anyone for sale in the UK & failed. I had to buy the Hago nozzle & adapter as shown direct from the States. Price was about £50 delivered.

          The reason I have persisted with the siphon nozzle and eschewed the spray type nozzles is that used oil is notoriously contaminated and spray nozzles are prone to foreign object damage.

          I am filtering my used oil with a 50 micron filter sock just to be safe but do not live in fear of clogging my nozzle.

          Cheers,

          Wilson.

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Les" <g8fub@...> wrote:

          > Hi Wilson,
          > Did you find a supplier for the syphon nozzle in the UK or did you have to get it from the US ? I have been thinking of using one of these after seeing this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-A8uoWdBB8 and seeing an oil burner that looks like it uses one of these nozzles on Ebay (Item 121075446817 Ebay UK) At the moment I am attempting to make a spray nozzle but I do not think it will work as well as the Hago Delavan nozzle. Thanks for creating the videos. Look forward to seeing one of it in action.
          > Les.
          >
          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "evildrome_boozerama" <wilson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I recently bought a 1GPH Hago oil siphon nozzle to make a waste oil burner for my furnace.
          > >
          > > As I could not find good information on how to turn the nozzle into a burner I decided to video my own efforts.
          > >
          > > Video 1: http://youtu.be/hpnYwxjkeBY
          > >
          > > Video 2: http://youtu.be/OGqPy7O6_Xo
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > >
          > > Wilson.

        • Eggleston Lance
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2013
            What are you melting?
            Have you melted cast iron?

            If yes, what mods have you made to the furnace
            re an aluminum melter?

            I am pondering make my cast iron melter:
            outer layer, hard fire brick
            middle layer kaowool 2000 F
            inner layer soft fire brick.
            Est an A10 size crux.

            Comments?? please.

            Also, what does one use for molds
            with cast iron?
            Steel?
            Sand?
            Lost wax with shell?

            lance
            ++++

            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2013
              Hi Lance,
              Have a look at this website http://www.artfulbodgermetalcasting.com/index.html
              It will give you some information about casting metals including cast iron. I have built a furnace based on his design but I think the syphon nozzle burner may be better than his design.

              Les.

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Eggleston Lance <gbof@...> wrote:

              > What are you melting?
              > Have you melted cast iron?
              >
              > If yes, what mods have you made to the furnace
              > re an aluminum melter?
              >
              > I am pondering make my cast iron melter:
              > outer layer, hard fire brick
              > middle layer kaowool 2000 F
              > inner layer soft fire brick.
              > Est an A10 size crux.
              >
              > Comments?? please.
              >
              > Also, what does one use for molds
              > with cast iron?
              > Steel?
              > Sand?
              > Lost wax with shell?
              >
              > lance
              > ++++
              >
              > On May 18, 2013, at 1:14 PM, evildrome_boozerama wrote:
              >

              > > I have melted with it already. It has reduced my melt time from 45 mins to under 25

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 6 , May 21, 2013
                Lance:Hard fire bricks stand up well to harsh conditions and will take a lot of heat. The problem if they are an extremely poor insulator and create a huge heat-sink. The only reason to use them for the outer layer would be if your furnace was in a permanent place and you used them instead of a steel outer shell. Even in that application they would be a waste as the inner layers should provide the insulation. They wouldn't get hot and regular masonry bricks would work just as well. Maybe I am misunderstanding you and you are planning to use them next to the fire. That would be even worse. Leon who posts on the Castinghobby group built a furnace with fire brick on the inside. It took a very long time to heat up and never reached the temperatures he wanted. He now has a great tilting furnace insulated with 2600 degree soft bricks. He can heat a large amount of cast iron rather quickly. He is heating the bricks well beyond their rating but they have held
                up well after many melts. That is probably because the temperature rating has to do with expansion rather than melting point of the refractory. The bricks are individual pieces and can move a little without cracking. 2600 Degree solid castable might not work as well at cast iron melting temperatures. I would use Kast-O_Lite 30. It has good insulation and will work for melting iron. Especially if coated with ITC-100. The heavy 3000 degree refractory isn't near as bad as the fire brick but it is a worse insulator and a greater heat-sink than the lite castable. Also you need less bags of the lite. The Kaowool is about half the cost of the castable or soft bricks for the space filled. Because it is lighter it is cheaper if you need it shipped. It is also a real good insulator. Foe an iron melter the 2300 degree might hold up better. Carl