Re: [hobbicast] Need advice

  • Dan Brewer
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
      On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
      the material will never release all of the water trapped in its structure.
      It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a material
      that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will reject
      water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
      20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
      art casting for statues.

      Dan in Auburn

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Eggleston Lance <wheezer606@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > OK, will dry 400-700 F.
      >
      > Would it work better to fill from the bottom and
      > vent at the top ?
      >
      > lance
      > ++++
      >
      > On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:19 PM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
      >
      > > Sounds like the POP had far too much water in it still.
      > >
      > > I would dry it out more around 400F. When I do lost plastic casting (a
      > bit different of course) I heat the POP mold up to around 1000F...

    • Yvanwolvesbane
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hey there, folks-
        PoP I'm familiar with. This is the first time I've heard of American Plaster. Is it known by other names? What makes it different from PoP?

        Mark Feldmann/
        Yvan Wolvesbane

        Pacifist with occasional lapses

        On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

        > On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
        > the material will never release all of the water trapped in its structure.
        > It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a material
        > that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will reject
        > water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
        > 20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
        > art casting for statues.
        >
        > Dan in Auburn
        >

        > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Eggleston Lance <wheezer606@...>wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> OK, will dry 400-700 F.
        >>
        >> Would it work better to fill from the bottom and
        >> vent at the top ?
        >>
        >> lance
        >> ++++
        >>
        >> On Apr 9, 2013, at 10:19 PM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
        >>
        >>> Sounds like the POP had far too much water in it still.
        >>>
        >>> I would dry it out more around 400F. When I do lost plastic casting (a
        >> bit different of course) I heat the POP mold up to around 1000F...

        > List Owner:

      • Inventor
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
          Just a side thought:
          Did you de-gass before the pour?

          Grandpa Bill

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "crashbone256" <wheezer606@...> wrote:

          > Group:
          >
          > I made the mold from eps. I taped the edges with masking tape.
          > I encased the mold in POP. The mold was oven dried at 170 F for 12 hours.
          > Then 8 hours at 200 F. Acetone was poured into the mold the dissolve the
          > styrofoam. The mold was dried at 210 F for 3 hours. The 200F molds were buried in new dry sand to near the top.
          >
          > 5 # Al muffins were melted in a 10 # crucible. The crux was red hot when removed.
          >
          > As the Al melt was poured into the "empty" mold it bubbled and popped and blew
          > bubbles up through the sprue. A steady stream was being poured, but it didn't want to go down the sprue.
          >
          > You can see from the first picture how it was gated.
          > Sprued on the top, Al runs down into the mold and rises off the bottom.
          >
          > The casting is porous and crappy.
          > What to do next time?
          >

          > Thanks
          > lance
          > ++++

        • StoneTool
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
            Mark:
            I think you misread.......... American Plaster is probably a
            company not a product. Though I wouldn't be surprised if during the
            Bush administration when they were stirring up hatred against the French
            for telling the truth, and going to such absurd lengths as renaming
            everything with the word "French", if Plaster of Paris wasn't renamed
            "American Plaster" along with the other childish nonsense that went on!

            Howard

            On 04/10/2013 09:42 AM, Yvanwolvesbane wrote:
            > Hey there, folks-
            > PoP I'm familiar with. This is the first time I've heard of American Plaster. Is it known by other names? What makes it different from PoP?
            >
            > Mark Feldmann/
            > Yvan Wolvesbane
            >
            > Pacifist with occasional lapses
            >

            > On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
            >> the material will never release all of the water trapped in its structure.
            >> It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a material
            >> that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will reject
            >> water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
            >> 20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
            >> art casting for statues.
            >>
            >> Dan in Auburn
            >>

            >> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Eggleston Lance <wheezer606@...>wrote:
            >>
            >>> **
            >>>

            >>> OK, will dry 400-700 F.
            >>>
            >>> Would it work better to fill from the bottom and
            >>> vent at the top ?
            >>>
            >>> lance
            >>> ++++

            >>> bit different of course) I heat the POP mold up to around 1000F...

            >> For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
            >> check out these two affiliated sites:
            >>
            >> Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
            >> http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
            >>
            >> List Owner:
            >> owly@...
            >>
            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > List Owner:

          • Dan Brewer
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
              The big difference is that when fired the substrate will no longer adsorb
              any moisture. The term used to describe it is vitrification or to become
              like glass.

              On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Yvanwolvesbane <yvanwolvesbane222@...
              > wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hey there, folks-
              > PoP I'm familiar with. This is the first time I've heard of American
              > Plaster. Is it known by other names? What makes it different from PoP?
              >
              > Mark Feldmann/
              > Yvan Wolvesbane
              >
              > Pacifist with occasional lapses
              >

              > On Apr 10, 2013, at 9:52 AM, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:
              >
              > > On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
              > > the material will never release all of the water trapped in its
              > structure.
              > > It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a
              > material
              > > that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will
              > reject
              > > water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
              > > 20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
              > > art casting for statues.
              > >
              > > Dan in Auburn
              > >

              > > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Eggleston Lance <wheezer606@...
              > >wrote:
              > >
              > >> **
              >

              > >> OK, will dry 400-700 F.
              > >>
              > >> Would it work better to fill from the bottom and
              > >> vent at the top ?
              > >>
              > >> lance
              > >> ++++

              > >> bit different of course) I heat the POP mold up to around 1000F...

              > > List Owner:
              > > owly@...
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Yvanwolvesbane
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                Thanks, Dan. That was very clear & warrants further investigation.

                On Apr 10, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

                > The big difference is that when fired the substrate will no longer adsorb
                > any moisture. The term used to describe it is vitrification or to become
                > like glass.

              • Inventor
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                  Hey Dan,
                  About a half a dozen links wouldn't hurt....
                  A few to read up about it.
                  A few more as to where to buy it for "20 BUCKS"

                  All I've found was clay and that 'started' at $85/50#.

                  Grandpa Bill

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

                  > On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
                  > the material will never release all of the water trapped in its structure.
                  > It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a material
                  > that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will reject
                  > water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
                  > 20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
                  > art casting for statues.
                  >
                  > Dan in Auburn
                • Dan Brewer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                    So here is a link to one supplier.
                    http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/U-S-Gypsum-1-CASTING-PLASTER-50-lbs-p/rmcaspla50.htm
                    The name of the company is US gypsum not US plaster. Brain fart. The way
                    that I use it is to take my wax master with sprus and vent attached and
                    coat it in Jet dry. Yes the stuff you use in your dish washer. It breaks
                    the surface tension on the wax and allows the plaster to stick. I mix a
                    little of the plaster up to the consistency of thin pancake batter and
                    paint it on. until I have coated the entire master except the top of the
                    pouring cup and the top of the vents. . I let that dry a little miz a
                    little more up a little thicker and put on another coat. When still wet I
                    sprinkle flint sand on the entire piece. Let that dry for a little. Mix up
                    some more plaster about 60/40 plaster sand and coat the piece. Let dry. You
                    should have coated the piece about 1.4 to 1/2 inch thick by now. Mix up
                    some more plaster 50/50 sand and plaster. sprinkle each coat with sand. The
                    next coat should be 30/30/30 plaster /sand / and grog. Grog is previously
                    fired plaster that has been broken up in to pieces that will fit through a
                    #8 sieve. When you have 3/4 to one inch of plaster wrap the piece in small
                    chicken wire. This is to keep the mold from breaking up when you fire it.
                    Add another inch of plaster , grog, sand to the outside of the mold. The
                    top and bottom of the mold should be able to support the mold with out
                    tipping over. The top because when you fire it the top will be down so all
                    of the wax will leave the mold and the bottom so you can fill the now
                    vacated mold with metal. Let dry .for several days in a warm spot. I place
                    mine on a blotter board. My blotter board is a 2x2 piece of drywall.
                    Place in your kiln and heat at the rate of 100 deg f per hour until the
                    melting temp of the wax has been reached. My kiln has a stainless steel
                    sink in the bottom that is plumbed out the bottom to get some of the wax
                    out of the kiln. I am able to recover some of it but not much. after the
                    wax is out around 200 to 275 deg you can ramp up a little faster Fire at
                    2000deg f for 4 to 20 hours depending on size of the piece. Let cool to
                    around 400 deg and pour.. Cover the pouring cup and vents with perlite or
                    vermiculite and let cool. When the outside of the mold is just hot enough
                    to touch sweep off the perlite/ vermiculite and you can remove the
                    plaster. Remember that it will be hot. I use a hammer and a water hose to
                    remove most of the plaster . Plaster will clog your drain . More clean up
                    can be done with a stiff brush or sand blasting.
                    For more information look up lost wax casting , ceramic shell casting.

                    Dan in Auburn

                    Other places to find casting plaster are pottery suppl houses. jewelery
                    supply houses. And there are lots of formulas of the casting plaster. This
                    is just the one that I have been using.

                    On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Inventor <welfab@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Hey Dan,
                    > About a half a dozen links wouldn't hurt....
                    > A few to read up about it.
                    > A few more as to where to buy it for "20 BUCKS"
                    >
                    > All I've found was clay and that 'started' at $85/50#.
                    >
                    > Grandpa Bill
                    >

                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On of the problems with using POP is that it is hygroscopic meaning that
                    > > the material will never release all of the water trapped in its
                    > structure.
                    > > It actually will draw water out of the atmosphere . I would use a
                    > material
                    > > that when fired will vitrify and change to a substance that now will
                    > reject
                    > > water. American plaster makes casting plaster. 50 lbs goes for about
                    > > 20USD . There are several others. Plaster of Paris is best left to the
                    > > art casting for statues.
                    > >
                    > > Dan in Auburn

                  • abascirocco
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                      FWIW, US Gypsum also has a plaster specifically formulated for non-ferrous metal casting, they call it simply USG metal casting plaster. The other major North American plaster manufacturer is Georgia Pacific, they also have a line of metal casting plasters.

                    • bs190815
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 18, 2013
                        For years I have been using Ransom & Randoph Ultra-Vest. I recently bought five 100 pound drum; I use nothing else!

                        Here is their web site, lots of good information.

                        http://www.ransom-randolph.com/