Re: [hobbicast] Picture of today's efforts added to Rupert's folder

  • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
      Matthew

      You are missing the point. The thin pattern was cut first and then mounted to the MDF that was to become the actual sand casting pattern, left side. On a second piece of MDF the thin pattern was mounted the other way up, this gives an identical but opposite handed sand pattern for the right side as the bearing on the router cutter follows the thin pattern in both MDF casting patterns. So you finish up with identical handed patterns.

      Malcolm

      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

      The writing is on the wall.

      From: Rupert <rwenig2@...>

      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 4:02 AM

      Hello Guys,

      Thought I'd post a picture of today's efforts. The large casting is

      the right side to replace the MDF on the gantry for my JGRO router

      table. The left side is already cast too but not in the picture. You can

      get an idea of size by the 2" spacing of the bars to castings are

      sitting on. The smaller castings on the left are for the upgrade too.

      The left one will be the adapter to hold the stepper motor. The center

      one will be a bearing block for a linear bearing. The right casting will

      become a holder for a mini die grinder for my lathe.

      Bye the way, the official high for today was -9C. My thermometer

      ready -10C.

      Rupert

      --

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig

      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

      email: rwenig2@...

      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

    • Matthew Tinker
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
        Malcolm,

        I got the reversible bit and went onto your cutting the draft clip, so in the second movie, the form was in MDF. I see, I made an amalga!

        Regards, Matthew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
          Matthew
          You think you have illustrated everything clearly and evidently it wasn't. Such is life. Will try harder next time.

          Malcolm

          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

          The writing is on the wall.

          From: Matthew Tinker <mattinker@...>

          To: "hobbicast@yahoogroups.comhobbicast@yahoogroups.com>

          From: Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...>

          From: Rupert <rwenig2@...>

          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
            Hello Wonk,
            I built a JGRO CNC router table a few years back to the plans
            available on this page
            <http://www.cncroutersource.com/cnc-router-plans.html> using MDF. I find
            the changes in humidity affect the accuracy as MDF swells and shrinks
            with changes in humidity. There are a few other things I think can be
            made better so I decided to try some upgrades. The main upgrade is
            changing the mdf to aluminum. I could cut the parts from billet but
            there is no fun in that. Or, I could use extrusions which would cost
            play money. The first stage of converting from mdf to aluminum is I'm
            changing the complete gantry to aluminum. In the process, What started
            the mods is I'm loosing steps on the "Z" axis for some reason I can't
            find. I hope to have more useable table area. The new X & Z axis linear
            rails will be ground rod with this style of bearings
            <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130855457692?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>.
            I will be switching to this style
            <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121085106061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>
            of anti-back lash nuts in the process.
            I plan to change over the main bed and frame for the X axis after I
            see how well these mods work out but I probably will use extrusions.
            Haven't thought that far ahead yet.
            The beauty of this operation is the machine can cut it's own
            patterns for the mods going straight from the CAD drawing to the
            finished pattern. That is the reason I built the router table in the
            first place- to make patterns.
            A 3D printer would be nice too specially for making smaller patterns.

            Rupert

            --

            yvt

            Rupert Wenig
            Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

            email: rwenig2@...

            http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
          • Ron Thompson
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
              Rupert,
              Good luck on your upgrades.
              The second ebay link is for a seller 39 miles from me in Melbourne, FL.
              I have done business with them in the past.
              I bought a lead screw kit that included the delrin nut, acme screw and
              end bearings in mounts. The sale went well and I did a local pick up
              with no problems.
              But when I went to install, there were a few hiccups.
              To start with the advertised 12" travel was closer to 10". They didn't
              allow for the nut. They complained, but replaced the screw. I think they
              also changed their sales literature to match reality. (As they should!)
              But then I had to press fit the end bearings and the machining wasn't
              small enough. I ended up bending the rod. They did not replace it this
              time and we have not done business since. I never did get it installed.
              If I were to do it today, I'd pay a little extra and get a ball screw.
              16mm screws with ball nut are fairly inexpensive. The smaller diameter
              are ridiculous for some reason.
              I am on a similar journey, but with a milling machine. I have the bottom
              of a unused mill drill that appears to be a Rong Fu 45. The seller told
              me his company bought it new to use the column and head on a project.
              I am about to make a column using 20mm fully supported linear rail and a
              16mm ball screw.
              I am waiting for these to arrive: ebay auction number 300878059161 and
              400353683793.
              Fully supported rail costs a little more but is much more rigid.
              The goal for my build is to emulate this:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME

              On 3/24/2013 10:57 AM, Rupert wrote:

              > Hello Wonk,
              > I built a JGRO CNC router table a few years back to the plans
              > available on this page
              > <http://www.cncroutersource.com/cnc-router-plans.html> using MDF. I find
              > the changes in humidity affect the accuracy as MDF swells and shrinks
              > with changes in humidity. There are a few other things I think can be
              > made better so I decided to try some upgrades. The main upgrade is
              > changing the mdf to aluminum. I could cut the parts from billet but
              > there is no fun in that. Or, I could use extrusions which would cost
              > play money. The first stage of converting from mdf to aluminum is I'm
              > changing the complete gantry to aluminum. In the process, What started
              > the mods is I'm loosing steps on the "Z" axis for some reason I can't
              > find. I hope to have more useable table area. The new X & Z axis linear
              > rails will be ground rod with this style of bearings
              > <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130855457692?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>.
              >
              > I will be switching to this style
              > <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121085106061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>
              >
              > of anti-back lash nuts in the process.
              > I plan to change over the main bed and frame for the X axis after I
              > see how well these mods work out but I probably will use extrusions.
              > Haven't thought that far ahead yet.
              > The beauty of this operation is the machine can cut it's own
              > patterns for the mods going straight from the CAD drawing to the
              > finished pattern. That is the reason I built the router table in the
              > first place- to make patterns.
              > A 3D printer would be nice too specially for making smaller patterns.
              >
              > Rupert
              >
              > On 3/23/2013 11:47 PM, Wonk wrote:
              > > Rupert,
              > > Great looking castings! Maybe I missed your mention of the machine
              > your making? Where did you get the plans?
              > > I'm attempting to make a 3D printer and have come to a stall
              > thinking I might want to do A gantry style machine instead of the
              > MendleMax?
              > > Instead of all castings I will be using extruded parts for the
              > framework and cast all the smaller bits motor mounts and such. Part of
              > the trouble with going too slow I guess as ideas and thoughts change.
              > >
              > > Cheers Wonk
              >
              > --
              >
              > yvt
              >
              > Rupert Wenig
              > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
              >
              > email: rwenig2@... <mailto:rwenig2%40xplornet.com>
              >
              > http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
              > <http://users.xplornet.com/%7Erwenig/Home/>
              >

              > No virus found in this message.

              Ron Thompson

              Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

              http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

            • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                Rupert

                We are following similar paths, but I am casting my anti backlash nuts, the same as those, in home made bearing bronze.
                I intend to use FreeCAD:
                <http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page>
                or Openscad
                <http://www.openscad.org/>
                to mill 3D casting patterns using LinuCNC. Too early to decide which at the moment.
                I got my LM16's from Hong Kong 10off for $38

                Malcolm

                Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

                The writing is on the wall.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                  This is also true but once a set of patterns and castings are made then changing ones mind sets back the finished product. Although in my case the end result probably will be more useful in the long run?
                  I'm thinking of a universal CNC machine that can go from router to printer with just a few changes.

                  Wonk

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Tinker <mattinker@...> wrote:

                  > Wonk,
                  >
                  > You say,
                  >

                  > "Part of the trouble with going too slow I guess as ideas and thoughts change."
                  >
                  > I think it's better to go "too slow" you find better solutions to the problem!
                  >
                  > Regards, Matthew
                  >

                  > Matthew TINKER
                  > CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
                  > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Wonk
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                    Thanks Rupert, I will study those plans some. I think my needs will be a bit smaller than that one but looks like some good ideas to use along the way.

                  • Rod
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                      Very nice looking castings Rupert. Do you have any idea
                      how much your finished project is going to cost.

                      Rod

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                        Hello Rod,
                        I haven't stopped to figure that out. If I remember right, I spent
                        about $1000 for everything except for the computer when I built the MDF
                        JGRO following the plans. I've been given a enough linear bearings that
                        need bearing blocks and a couple of hardened ground shafts. I'm guessing
                        $3-400 should easily cover any upgrades I decide to buy but I haven't
                        really priced out the "T" shaped rails I want for the "X" axis. I
                        already bought the anti-backlash nuts as buying them was cheaper than
                        buying an amce thread tape. Switching to ball screws would up the cost.
                        The castings I'm making cost me very little. I'm melting old
                        pistons which I got for almost nothing. My time is 60 min/hour so there
                        is no real cost there. The biggest cost will be the propane I use to
                        melt the aluminum and what electricity I use to machine the parts. I
                        already have all the electronics from the old MDF router table.
                        It has served me well enough for what I've used it for.

                        Rupert

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 24, 2013
                          Hello Malcolm,
                          I used a similar method to make patterns before I built the CNC
                          router table. Now it does the job much easier and faster.:-)
                          I'm using 20mm ground and hardened round rod for the Z and X axis as I
                          have it and they aren't long enough to worry much about flex. I will be
                          looking into the "T" shaped rail when I do the longer X axis as it is
                          48" long. I chose to do the gantry first to see how well that works out.
                          Thanks for the links.

                          Rupert

                          --

                          yvt