Re: [hobbicast] Re: Damp molds ( observation and question)

  • Joseph Feldmann
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
      Hey there, folks-
         We're all freinds on this list, more or less. The vitriole on this matter is unneccessary. Everyone has their own level of safety comfort. As George Carlin once said "Anyone who drives slower than me is an a**hole; Anyone who drives faster is a maniac." To my mind, this falls in that category.
         That said, whenever I teach metalcasting to newbies, from pewter to bronze, I always stress a quote I picked up from one of these lists, maybe this one: Handling molten metal is like playing with a thimble full of hell. If you keep that thought in mind in all you do, you can reduce the chance of being bitten by it to its minimum.
         Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. Come to think of it, 2 cents isn't worth much anymore, is it.

      Yvan Wolvesbane
      Pacifist ...with occasional lapses.

    • Glenn N
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
        I had a rather exciting incident trying to pour aluminum into paper towel
        tubes to make round bar for the lathe. It was just plain sand that got a
        bit of moisture in it sitting out over night. I stuffed the tube in and
        poured sand around it. When I poured the aluminum in it made a nice poof
        and blew sand and molten aluminum out of the hole. It burned holes in my
        leathers and made me do a dance, but I wouldn't exactly call it an
        explosion. No bang, no shock wave felt. Pyroclastic even for sure but not
        an explosion.
        Did I say it scared the shit out of me?? ;)

        Glenn
        From: Nelson Collar <nel2lar@...>
        To: "hobbicast@yahoogroups.com" <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 9:55 PM

        I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so
        dangerous:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkfyj42f6EU
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sTS5uvWOM
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWUF6wuYDt0

        ________________________________
        From: Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...>
        To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:35 PM

        On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

        > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your
        > own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out
        > of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could
        > not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a
        > little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what
        > it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

        How do you know you have cast more years than I have wiped my nose? I am no
        newbie either. I too have poured on wet sand.

        But yeah water and molten metal are totally safe. No possibility of
        explosions. No one has ever been maimed or killed or anything. No need to be
        cautious.

        Get real.

        The reason why you have been able to pour on wet sand is because the a. sand
        helps, and b. there must have not been enough pressure built up. Confine
        some steam and you have serious danger.

        Sincerely,

        Jeshua Lacock
        Founder/Engineer