Re: Damp molds ( observation and question)

  • tmoranwms
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
      Nelson,

      You, and people like you, are the reason behind a lot of problems:

      Safety is the number one reason industrial foundry equipment is so expensive. The company I work at does NOT build or sell melting furnaces. There is a sister company which does, and they literally mark up an identical product by 40%, just to cover legal fees. Because, for some reason, the very same people who make claims like yours, magically forget those claims when they literally blow up in their faces and start a lawsuit. So much for making a personal decision, eh?

      For the same reason, companies will not sell this type of equipment to the general public, even if someone wanted to pay the exorbitant cost for it.

      It is the same rationalization which smokers excuse their habit with. "Oh, it's a risk, but it's my choice, and I've accepted that risk." That's fine, you can kill yourself if you wish, but never tell someone else that taking a risk is fine. That is inexcusable and monstrous.

      The cost to society at large is considerable. If all those smokers, who made their personal decision, decided suddenly, "yeah, smoking IS bad" and stopped, average life expectancy will increase five years or so. And that means five more years of economic output and five more years of spending life with family and friends.

      And I'm not saying personal decisions shouldn't be made, I'm saying they are rarely, if ever, made with consideration of all those who are affected by it.

      The man who's missing a finger is a wise machinist. But the man with all fingers is the wisest machinist. Think about it.

      As for molds themselves, you can never be too careful. You're taking a risk with molten metal anywhere, and especially anywhere near moisture. A greensand mold is an inherent risk, and by lucky chance it's permeable enough to avoid disaster. Even so, they explode from time to time, due to excessive or misplaced moisture, stuff falling in and so on. I don't have experience with Petrobond and how permeable it is for oil and water vapors.

      Tim

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Nelson Collar <nel2lar@...> wrote:

      > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?
      > Nelson Collar
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Joseph Feldmann
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
        Hey there, folks-
           We're all freinds on this list, more or less. The vitriole on this matter is unneccessary. Everyone has their own level of safety comfort. As George Carlin once said "Anyone who drives slower than me is an a**hole; Anyone who drives faster is a maniac." To my mind, this falls in that category.
           That said, whenever I teach metalcasting to newbies, from pewter to bronze, I always stress a quote I picked up from one of these lists, maybe this one: Handling molten metal is like playing with a thimble full of hell. If you keep that thought in mind in all you do, you can reduce the chance of being bitten by it to its minimum.
           Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. Come to think of it, 2 cents isn't worth much anymore, is it.

        Yvan Wolvesbane
        Pacifist ...with occasional lapses.

      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
          I had a rather exciting incident trying to pour aluminum into paper towel
          tubes to make round bar for the lathe. It was just plain sand that got a
          bit of moisture in it sitting out over night. I stuffed the tube in and
          poured sand around it. When I poured the aluminum in it made a nice poof
          and blew sand and molten aluminum out of the hole. It burned holes in my
          leathers and made me do a dance, but I wouldn't exactly call it an
          explosion. No bang, no shock wave felt. Pyroclastic even for sure but not
          an explosion.
          Did I say it scared the shit out of me?? ;)

          Glenn
          From: Nelson Collar <nel2lar@...>
          To: "hobbicast@yahoogroups.com" <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 9:55 PM

          I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so
          dangerous:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkfyj42f6EU
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sTS5uvWOM
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWUF6wuYDt0

          ________________________________
          From: Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...>
          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:35 PM

          On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

          > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your
          > own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out
          > of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could
          > not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a
          > little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what
          > it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

          How do you know you have cast more years than I have wiped my nose? I am no
          newbie either. I too have poured on wet sand.

          But yeah water and molten metal are totally safe. No possibility of
          explosions. No one has ever been maimed or killed or anything. No need to be
          cautious.

          Get real.

          The reason why you have been able to pour on wet sand is because the a. sand
          helps, and b. there must have not been enough pressure built up. Confine
          some steam and you have serious danger.

          Sincerely,

          Jeshua Lacock
          Founder/Engineer