Re: [hobbicast] Damp molds ( observation and question)

  • Steven DePhillips
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 11, 2013
      If you can get a dehumidifier and let it run for a day or so it will dry the place up.  I used one when i was coating my lost foam patterns in watered down drywall putty and it worked great.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 11, 2013
        Rupert,

        My foundry area is open and under a lean-to with 2 walls closed a third with a 3' X 4' open window and the 4th side open. I try not to mold ahead but there are times when I run out of steam with my health issues that force me to quit before I've poured all my molds. I use a mix of alcohol and graphite powder in a spray bottle and spray both the cope and the drag and flat surfaces, etc with this. I then light off the alcohol and that warms the cavity and surounding sand enough to drive off any seen or suspected moisture. I use a toaster oven bought from a second hand store to warm any cores and ingot trays.
        I've never had a steam explosion, I use both petrobond 1 and Olivine green sand.

        Cheers Wonk

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:

        > Hello Guys,
        > I've had an open mold and several closed molds waiting for me to
        > get around to doing a melt. The open mold requires a core before
        > closing. I like to warm my cores before use to make sure they are dry. I
        > figured today was a good day to do the pour before another project got
        > in the way so I turned the heat on this morning to warm things up as I
        > don't have the heat on when I'm not using the building. I went to
        > prepare the open mold for pouring this afternoon but saw some tiny shiny
        > balls in the cavity. The shiny balls turned out to be water droplets. I
        > opened a couple of the other molds to check but didn't see any water
        > droplets in them. So what to do? A figured the expanded volume of the
        > superheated droplets I saw would be larger than the cavity of the mold.
        > I postponed the melt to be on the safe side as I don't want to
        > experience an exploding mold.
        > Now my reason for posting this. How do you guys in damp climates
        > cope with moisture from the air in the mold? Is my concern warranted?
        > Some details: I'm using petrobond II molding sand. The moisture
        > comes from snow melting off a car that is stored inside when I'm not
        > using the foundry. The warmth from the car also keeps the air temp from
        > falling much below -5C when the heating is off.
        >
        > Rupert
        > --
        >
        > yvt
        >
        > Rupert Wenig
        > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
        >
        > email: rwenig2@...
        >
        > http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
          Wonk

          I have had graphite and alcohol in stock for a while, but not found what ratio to use. What ratio of alcohol to graphite do you use?

          Malcolm

          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

          The writing is on the wall.

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
            Hello Wonk,
            Thanks for the tip. I have a graphite/alcohol mix on hand but I
            never thought of using it when I am pouring aluminum or brass. I use it
            to improve the finish when I do a cast iron pour. I also use green sand
            for cast iron pours.
            In any case, the water droplets are gone this morning so warming
            the place up did the trick.
            Toaster ovens are a handy addition to any foundry specially hobby
            foundries. I haven't had a moisture problem from a core since I started
            using a toaster oven to warm my cores.

            Rupert

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
              My efforts have been trial and test so I don't have a good blend to share! I don't think you can over-do it one way or another as the alcohol will evaporate if needed. Graphite won't harm the aluminum melt so what ever seems to work is where I go. If I run into the secret sauce blend I will then share! <grin>

              Wonk

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

              > Wonk
              >
              > I have had graphite and alcohol in stock for a while, but not found what ratio to use. What ratio of alcohol to graphite do you use?
              >
              > Malcolm
              >
              > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
              >
              > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
              >
              > The writing is on the wall.

            • Nelson Collar
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                Rupert
                I must comment about this exploding molds. It is not a percussion thing, it is a gas from water and a lot of steam. I will not blow up on you. The graphite and alcohol sprayed on the mold will dry the surface, and the graphite makes a smoother casting with better release from the sand. If the sand is too wet you setting yourself up for failure and none of us want to pour a part more than once. That is not always the case, we are not pro's and sometimes we miss something that a pro would do because they learned from someone that knew what he was doing. We all learn from others and our mistakes, hopefully make us a good caster.
                Best Casting to you

                Hello Wonk
                How is the new shop coming? Love your burner pics, very impressive.
                Nelson Collar

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                  On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:49 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                  > I must comment about this exploding molds. It is not a percussion thing, it is a gas from water and a lot of steam. I will not blow up on you.

                  Explosions are certainly a possibility.

                  If the steam develops any appreciable pressure explosion can be a very real threat.

                  Best,

                  Jeshua Lacock
                  Founder/Engineer
                  3DTOPO Incorporated
                  <http://3DTOPO.com>
                  Phone: 208.462.4171
                • Nelson Collar
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                    Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?
                    Nelson Collar

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                      On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                      > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

                      How do you know you have cast more years than I have wiped my nose? I am no newbie either. I too have poured on wet sand.

                      But yeah water and molten metal are totally safe. No possibility of explosions. No one has ever been maimed or killed or anything. No need to be cautious.

                      Get real.

                      The reason why you have been able to pour on wet sand is because the a. sand helps, and b. there must have not been enough pressure built up. Confine some steam and you have serious danger.

                      Sincerely,

                      Jeshua Lacock
                      Founder/Engineer
                      3DTOPO Incorporated
                      <http://3DTOPO.com>
                      Phone: 208.462.4171
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                        On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                        > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

                        I suppose these OSHA molten metal steam accidents are make believe?

                        http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.search?sic=&sicgroup=&acc_description=&acc_abstract=&acc_keyword=%22Molten%20Metal%22&inspnr=&fatal=&officetype=&office=&startmonth=&startday=&startyear=&endmonth=&endday=&endyear=&keyword_list=on&p_start=&p_finish=180&p_sort=&p_desc=DESC&p_direction=Next&p_show=20

                        Cheers,

                        Jeshua Lacock
                        Founder/Engineer
                        3DTOPO Incorporated
                        <http://3DTOPO.com>
                        Phone: 208.462.4171
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                          On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                          > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

                          p.s.

                          And who the hell are you to say that I have a little bit of knowledge? You have no idea of the extent of knowledge and experience I have.

                          Sincerely,

                          Jeshua Lacock
                          Founder/Engineer
                          3DTOPO Incorporated
                          <http://3DTOPO.com>
                          Phone: 208.462.4171
                        • David Patterson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                            Jeshua, I have to agree with you. I have only seen one steam explosion during the time I worked for at a local foundry. luckly no one was hurt, as all were wearing safety equipment.
                            Water enter the mold from a leak in the roof, dropped into a riser so no one knew it soaked the sand. The mold did blow sand and aluminum out of the mold far enough to destroy other molds and could have hurt those nearby, not by the explosion but by liquid metal falling all around.

                            Dave Patterson
                            odd_kins@...
                            http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                              I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so dangerous:

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkfyj42f6EU
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sTS5uvWOM
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWUF6wuYDt0

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                > I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so dangerous:

                                That proves nothing. Who here is pouring into molds under water?

                                Besides, one commenter posted:

                                "Also a great way to cause a steam explosion that throws hot metal everywhere."

                                To which the arthur of the video replies:

                                "Yeah, that's why it's a good idea to use metals with relatively low melting points."

                                The author of the 3rd post states:

                                "An unheated metal tube pushed to the bottom of the molten metal is enough to cause a steam explosion."

                                So I am afraid these so called examples are only working against you. I imagine if you dumped 5 gallons of molten aluminum into a gallon of water you would see very different results.

                                Incidentally here is a video of a steam explosion:

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycq2kwQqHE

                                I suppose that must be special effects?

                                Sincerely,

                                Jeshua Lacock
                                Founder/Engineer
                                3DTOPO Incorporated
                                <http://3DTOPO.com>
                                Phone: 208.462.4171
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                  On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                  > I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so dangerous:

                                  Here is the aftermath of a lead steam explosion:

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Pe9wy9SjxjQ

                                  Looks really safe and fun huh?

                                  Jeshua Lacock
                                  Founder/Engineer
                                  3DTOPO Incorporated
                                  <http://3DTOPO.com>
                                  Phone: 208.462.4171
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                    On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                    > I went to UTube for some of the stupid guys doing what you say is so dangerous:

                                    Another one:

                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A796N_YZTm8

                                    Looks like it was caused from a drop of water in the mold.

                                    Good times!

                                    Cheers,

                                    Jeshua Lacock
                                    Founder/Engineer
                                    3DTOPO Incorporated
                                    <http://3DTOPO.com>
                                    Phone: 208.462.4171
                                  • David Patterson
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                      Nelson that's not even close to what we're talking about. Pouring metal into water has been done since before you were born.
                                      We're talking about a closed mold that has excess water in the sand. In the case I was refering to was an over wet drag, in just one area. the mold is pour fast and the moist sand covered quickly enough to not allow the steam to escape the mold fast enough to prevent the mold from exploding.
                                      With that in mind, is why I make only the molds I'm going to pour that day.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                        I just get tired of hearing how dangerous molten metal and water is. Its dangerous getting out of your bed in the morning, you could slip an fall and we all know what that does to ones body. So dangerous is what you make it. Missing steps and rushing will cause mistakes like that. If you have plenty of holes through your sand to let the gas and steam out explosion is very unlikely to happen. Anything can be dangerous that is the reason for rules and guide lines.
                                        Nelson Collar

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                          On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                          > I just get tired of hearing how dangerous molten metal and water is. Its dangerous getting out of your bed in the morning, you could slip an fall and we all know what that does to ones body. So dangerous is what you make it. Missing steps and rushing will cause mistakes like that. If you have plenty of holes through your sand to let the gas and steam out explosion is very unlikely to happen. Anything can be dangerous that is the reason for rules and guide lines.

                                          Well that is not what you said. You said "NO it is not a dangerous".

                                          Ask the widows of those documented OSHA cases if they agree.

                                          Then just because I state "Explosions are certainly a possibility" you go out of your way to make uncalled for nasty personal attacks.

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Jeshua Lacock
                                          Founder/Engineer
                                          3DTOPO Incorporated
                                          <http://3DTOPO.com>
                                          Phone: 208.462.4171
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 12, 2013
                                            On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                            > If you have plenty of holes through your sand to let the gas and steam out explosion is very unlikely to happen.

                                            P.S.

                                            Two of three videos I posted had explosions in completely open-faced molds. So much for the "plenty of holes" theory….

                                            Jeshua Lacock
                                            Founder/Engineer
                                            3DTOPO Incorporated
                                            <http://3DTOPO.com>
                                            Phone: 208.462.4171
                                          • tmoranwms
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
                                              Nelson,

                                              You, and people like you, are the reason behind a lot of problems:

                                              Safety is the number one reason industrial foundry equipment is so expensive. The company I work at does NOT build or sell melting furnaces. There is a sister company which does, and they literally mark up an identical product by 40%, just to cover legal fees. Because, for some reason, the very same people who make claims like yours, magically forget those claims when they literally blow up in their faces and start a lawsuit. So much for making a personal decision, eh?

                                              For the same reason, companies will not sell this type of equipment to the general public, even if someone wanted to pay the exorbitant cost for it.

                                              It is the same rationalization which smokers excuse their habit with. "Oh, it's a risk, but it's my choice, and I've accepted that risk." That's fine, you can kill yourself if you wish, but never tell someone else that taking a risk is fine. That is inexcusable and monstrous.

                                              The cost to society at large is considerable. If all those smokers, who made their personal decision, decided suddenly, "yeah, smoking IS bad" and stopped, average life expectancy will increase five years or so. And that means five more years of economic output and five more years of spending life with family and friends.

                                              And I'm not saying personal decisions shouldn't be made, I'm saying they are rarely, if ever, made with consideration of all those who are affected by it.

                                              The man who's missing a finger is a wise machinist. But the man with all fingers is the wisest machinist. Think about it.

                                              As for molds themselves, you can never be too careful. You're taking a risk with molten metal anywhere, and especially anywhere near moisture. A greensand mold is an inherent risk, and by lucky chance it's permeable enough to avoid disaster. Even so, they explode from time to time, due to excessive or misplaced moisture, stuff falling in and so on. I don't have experience with Petrobond and how permeable it is for oil and water vapors.

                                              Tim

                                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Nelson Collar <nel2lar@...> wrote:

                                              > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?
                                              > Nelson Collar
                                              >

                                              > ________________________________

                                            • Joseph Feldmann
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
                                                Hey there, folks-
                                                   We're all freinds on this list, more or less. The vitriole on this matter is unneccessary. Everyone has their own level of safety comfort. As George Carlin once said "Anyone who drives slower than me is an a**hole; Anyone who drives faster is a maniac." To my mind, this falls in that category.
                                                   That said, whenever I teach metalcasting to newbies, from pewter to bronze, I always stress a quote I picked up from one of these lists, maybe this one: Handling molten metal is like playing with a thimble full of hell. If you keep that thought in mind in all you do, you can reduce the chance of being bitten by it to its minimum.
                                                   Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. Come to think of it, 2 cents isn't worth much anymore, is it.

                                                Yvan Wolvesbane
                                                Pacifist ...with occasional lapses.

                                              • Glenn N
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 13, 2013
                                                  I had a rather exciting incident trying to pour aluminum into paper towel
                                                  tubes to make round bar for the lathe. It was just plain sand that got a
                                                  bit of moisture in it sitting out over night. I stuffed the tube in and
                                                  poured sand around it. When I poured the aluminum in it made a nice poof
                                                  and blew sand and molten aluminum out of the hole. It burned holes in my
                                                  leathers and made me do a dance, but I wouldn't exactly call it an
                                                  explosion. No bang, no shock wave felt. Pyroclastic even for sure but not
                                                  an explosion.
                                                  Did I say it scared the shit out of me?? ;)

                                                  Glenn

                                                  On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:30 PM, Nelson Collar wrote:

                                                  > Well I can say I am no newbie. I've cast more years than you wiped your
                                                  > own nose. I have had too wet sand and the danger is the metal spilling out
                                                  > of the mold and blow holes where the gas from the excessive water could
                                                  > not fill because of steam. NO it is not a dangerous. Some of you all get a
                                                  > little bit of knowledge and think you know it all. This group is not what
                                                  > it was years ago. Wonk what keep you around?

                                                  How do you know you have cast more years than I have wiped my nose? I am no
                                                  newbie either. I too have poured on wet sand.

                                                  But yeah water and molten metal are totally safe. No possibility of
                                                  explosions. No one has ever been maimed or killed or anything. No need to be
                                                  cautious.

                                                  Get real.

                                                  The reason why you have been able to pour on wet sand is because the a. sand
                                                  helps, and b. there must have not been enough pressure built up. Confine
                                                  some steam and you have serious danger.

                                                  Sincerely,

                                                  Jeshua Lacock
                                                  Founder/Engineer