Re: [hobbicast] Re: OT: Looking for Dore Westbury Mill construction book

  • Steve Wan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi Rupert/Kelvin

      Thanks! I found the source:
      http://store.lathes.co.uk/print/md410

      Steve

      On 3/5/13, kpalmer10000 <kpalmer10000@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > On UK ebay someone is selling a cd with it on.
      > http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dore+westbury&_sacat=0&_from=R40
      >
      > no connection, I just noticed it in my searchs.
      >
      > Kevin
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <stewan@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi Guys
      >>
      >> Greetings! I would like to get the manual of Dore Westbury construction
      >> book. Wonder anyone would be kind to send me the scan PDF or leads to the
      >> purchase of the printed book.
      >>
      >> Thanks inadvance :)
      >>
      >> Steve Wan

    • mikey98118
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
        Because of ongoing discussions about a unique new burner part, the question has arisen as to what is the most common burner size. Over the years, burners have come to be designated according to mixing tube size, which is usually given as an equivalent pipe size (ex 3/4" and 1"). Ideas, anyone?
        Mikey

      • Wonk
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
          In my opinion, I don't think one size fits all, so stating that, I think 1/2" for the smallest useful or practical to 1" for the larger castings and furnaces. Burner size is by all means not the starting point! I think deciding what size castings your intertested in doing then aquire a crucible that suits that amount and type of metal, build the furnace then the burner. The more you melt the metal the poorer the castings usually become as some of the good stuff tends to go away and the alloy changes unless you add things back.( hard to decide what went away and replace in a home shop!) My goal is good castings no matter what I do to get there!

          Wonk

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, michael.a.porter@... wrote:

          > Because of ongoing discussions about a unique new burner part, the question has arisen as to what is the most common burner size. Over the years, burners have come to be designated according to mixing tube size, which is usually given as an equivalent pipe size (ex 3/4" and 1"). Ideas, anyone?
          > Mikey

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
            The burner in my Gingery style furnace is 1 1/4" nominal pipe size.
            The burner in my CC furnace is nominal pipe size !/4".

            Rupert

            On 3/11/2013 11:01 AM, Wonk wrote:
            > In my opinion, I don't think one size fits all, so stating that, I think 1/2" for the smallest useful or practical to 1" for the larger castings and furnaces. Burner size is by all means not the starting point! I think deciding what size castings your intertested in doing then aquire a crucible that suits that amount and type of metal, build the furnace then the burner. The more you melt the metal the poorer the castings usually become as some of the good stuff tends to go away and the alloy changes unless you add things back.( hard to decide what went away and replace in a home shop!) My goal is good castings no matter what I do to get there!
            >
            > Wonk
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, michael.a.porter@... wrote:
            >> Because of ongoing discussions about a unique new burner part, the question has arisen as to what is the most common burner size. Over the years, burners have come to be designated according to mixing tube size, which is usually given as an equivalent pipe size (ex 3/4" and 1"). Ideas, anyone?
            >> Mikey

            > List Owner:

            > -----
            > No virus found in this message.