about tin ?

  • mict04
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi,

      I realize you guys have probably been asked a thousand time, but I am new to this and don't understand.

      What is the tin cans and bear caps made of, is it really tin ?
      (the way they rust I allways assumed they were cheap metal, some what like used on our older cars)

      What is tin really ?

      What is whit metal ?

      What is the Aluminium & white metal mix ?
      what is it good for ?

      I hope you guys don't mind these beginner questions. You might actually find them very silly questions.
      All I know is some very basic/simple aluminium casting in sand which I really enjoyed doing and look forward to doing more this spring.

      When I hear people speek about using tin and copper I am very confused and I would really like to understand at least at an entry level-basic so I can learn while following messages.

      Michel
    • Ron Thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
        Tin is a metal much like lead, dense and soft, not to mention expensive.
        When you hear people talk about roofing tin or a tin can, it's a
        misnomer. The original was tinned can, meaning coated with tin, similar
        to galvanizing.
        If it is thin and rusts, it is most likely steel.
        Tin is not commonly found by itself, but you can buy it in ingots.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin
        As to white metal:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal

        On 3/2/2013 12:26 PM, mict04 wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I realize you guys have probably been asked a thousand time, but I am
        > new to this and don't understand.
        >
        > What is the tin cans and bear caps made of, is it really tin ?
        > (the way they rust I allways assumed they were cheap metal, some what
        > like used on our older cars)
        >
        > What is tin really ?
        >
        > What is whit metal ?
        >
        > What is the Aluminium & white metal mix ?
        > what is it good for ?
        >
        > I hope you guys don't mind these beginner questions. You might
        > actually find them very silly questions.
        > All I know is some very basic/simple aluminium casting in sand which I
        > really enjoyed doing and look forward to doing more this spring.
        >
        > When I hear people speek about using tin and copper I am very confused
        > and I would really like to understand at least at an entry level-basic
        > so I can learn while following messages.
        >
        > Michel
        >

        > No virus found in this message.

        Ron Thompson

        Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

        http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

      • Wonk
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
          Rather than define all the different metals I will refer you to Google or other search engine to get a complete picture of what your looking for!
          As far as casting the different metals you would be far ahead to buy known alloys from a reputable company such as Budget casting. Many of the alloys have ingreadents that are hard to come by locally and some probably at great expense due to shipping costs and such. Then you must hit the alloy on the mark or suffer from a lack of one or more ingreadent or wrong measure, et.
          Back when I first started casting (1977 or so) I decided I wanted some castings from ZA-12 and it took many tries to get the formula correct., It was quite a let down to make castings that were not good for the intended end product. Stuff for the hobby guys was had to get back then!
          Good luck on your experiments and castings!
          Cheers Wonk