Re: What is under the silver plating?

  • tmoranwms
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
      Base could be anything, steel, copper, brass, nickel silver... Only sure way would be to find someone who can do XRF or something like that.

      Typical plating is a nickel diffusion barrier (prevents silver from "soaking into" the lower layers over time), and the silver plating. I forget if there's more. There may be a copper base plating in there for steel.

      Chrome plating (on steel) is similar, I forget the order of nickel and copper though. I want to say nickel is first, keeping the copper from diffusing into the steel, but nickel and chrome go together well. Ah well, google it. :)

      Tim

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, EaldredSCA@... wrote:

      > While browsing my local thrift shop I found a couple of silverplated pieces. It got me wondering, what is under the silverplate? Any one ever cut up a piece or melted one down?
      >

      > Not a big deal but I am curious.
      >

      > Dawson Lewis

    • ealdredmoneyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
        Thanks all for the information.

        Dawson

        Base could be anything, steel, copper, brass, nickel silver... Only sure way would be to find someone who can do XRF or something like that.

        Typical plating is a nickel diffusion barrier (prevents silver from "soaking into" the lower layers over time), and the silver plating. I forget if there's more. There may be a copper base plating in there for steel.

        Chrome plating (on steel) is similar, I forget the order of nickel and copper though. I want to say nickel is first, keeping the copper from diffusing into the steel, but nickel and chrome go together well. Ah well, google it. :)

        Tim

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, EaldredSCA@... wrote:

        > While browsing my local thrift shop I found a couple of silverplated pieces. It got me wondering, what is under the silverplate? Any one ever cut up a piece or melted one down?
        >

        > Not a big deal but I am curious.
        >

        > Dawson Lewis

      • phil
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2013
          Hi Dawson, It is usually copper or brass under silver plate, or sometimes a more base metal which has been copper or brass plated before silver plate is applied.
          Phil