Re: [hobbicast] Re: yellow metal

  • David Knaack
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 20, 2013
      Here are a few references.

      "one part of zinc with five or six parts of copper- ; [...] Some
      metallurgists, however, direct equal parts to be melted together ; but Dr.
      Lewis observes, from his own experiments, that pinchbeck bears a greater
      resemblance to gold, by employing zinc either in the largest or in the
      smallest proportion, than by using similar quantities of each ingredient."
      http://chestofbooks.com/reference/The-Domestic-Encyclopaedia-Vol3/Pinchbeck.html#.USVE8x2sjTo

      ""pinchbeck" is an alloy of copper and zinc, usually containing about nine
      parts copper to one part zinc."
      http://www.freefictionbooks.org/books/o/5452-old-and-new-london-by-walter-thornbury?start=70

      "composed of about three ounces of zinc to a pound of copper."
      "consists of 83% copper and 17% zinc"
      "It has also been said that the formulae was lost with the death of
      Christopher Pinchbeck."
      http://www.metaglossary.com/meanings/398097/

      "Brass that includes 12 to 15 percent zinc"
      "it is possible that there was also some secret process for applying a thin
      wash of gold to the surface"
      Antique Jewellery - Duncan James, pp48

    • Kerri Duncan
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 21, 2013
        Puprple gold is detrimental to electronics- that is for certain- but there are others that are actually using it to their advantage- true- they are jewelers... but I like the results!
        Check out:
        http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making-class-faceted-purple-gold.htm

        Meevis' initial experiments in the ingots:
        http://www.meevis.com/jewelery-making-class-purple-gold-experiments.htm

        And applied to lapidary:
        http://hansmeevis.blogspot.com/2007/09/tourmaline-and-purple-gold-lamination.html

        Just thought I would give a different take on the topic as to some it is a problem... and to other fields- its a fashion...

        If you guys like the purple gold you will also like his crystal steam engine- Made of CZ:
        http://ganoksin.com/blog/meevis/2012/02/14/the-mini-cz-steam-engine-part-2/

        Be safe and enjoy!
        Kerri