Re: [hobbicast] need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
      Hello Fred,
      It is best to condition the crucible as per the instructions that
      come with a new one. I haven't found any problems with the alloy
      separating during melting. You may get some off gassing of the zinc,
      lead and other alloys though. The best is to stay upwind so you don't
      breath any vapors. Our bodies don't like metal vapors.
      Nelson brought up a good point when pouring ingots. I often do the
      same so I have round and flat stock on hand for my projects. It's a 2
      hour drive (one way) for me to buy stock material. I have flat wood
      patterns made up in various thickness for that purpose.
      We're having a real blizzard here today with visibility varying fro
      0 to maybe 100 ft. Haven't had one like this here for several years.
      Good time to stay home.

      Rupert

      On 2/13/2013 2:50 AM, fred eisner wrote:
      > hi rupertthanks for your infoi have a new never used graphite cruciblei know that i have to preheat it first and let it slowly cooli was wondering if the bronze will separate during meltingand the lead will burn offso i just mix it before pouring? i will be doing it outside so breathing the fumes will be at a minimum and i will wear protective gear and masksalso since im pouring ingots instead of castings ill be using this as a learning experiencethanks fred
      > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      > From: rwenig2@...
      > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [hobbicast] need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

      > Hello Fred,
      >
      > I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.
      >
      > I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the
      >
      > melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.
      >
      > Seehttp://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.
      >
      > You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the
      >
      > casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the
      >
      > bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the
      >
      > surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get
      >
      > more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some
      >
      > zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of
      >
      > the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting
      >
      > bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.
      >
      > Hope that answers your question.
      >

      > Rupert
      >

      > On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:
      >
      >> hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred
      >> Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
      >> http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
      >> List Owner:
      >> owly@...
      >> Yahoo! Groups Links