Re: [hobbicast] need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

  • Nelson Collar
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
      Fred
      If you are just melting the bronze to melt it take it and instead of ingot make a mold to make a stock piece like a flat bar or a larger rectangular piece that you might be able to use. The more you melt bronze or brass the more you loose some other metal that melt at a lower temp.
      Just 2 cents of advice, take it in good spirits
      Nelson Collar

      ________________________________
      From: rwenig2@...
      Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700

      Hello Fred,

      I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.

      I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the

      melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.

      Seehttp://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.

      You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the

      casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the

      bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the

      surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get

      more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some

      zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of

      the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting

      bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.

      Hope that answers your question.

      Rupert

      On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:

      > hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred

      > List Owner:

      > -----

      > No virus found in this message.

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig

      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

      email: rwenig2@...

      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

    • fred eisner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
        hi nelson - that is what i intend to do - im calling it an ingot but it will be a block large enough for me to machine into a useable piece - i have around 20 lbs of scrap 660 bronze which is too small for anything - this way ill be able to machine it into needed parts - thanks fred

        To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

        To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

        From: rwenig2@...

        Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700

        Hello Fred,

        I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.

        I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the

        melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.

        Seehttp://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.

        You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the

        casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the

        bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the

        surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get

        more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some

        zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of

        the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting

        bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.

        Hope that answers your question.

        Rupert

        On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:

        > hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred

        > List Owner:

        > -----

        > No virus found in this message.

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig

        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
          Hello Fred,
          It is best to condition the crucible as per the instructions that
          come with a new one. I haven't found any problems with the alloy
          separating during melting. You may get some off gassing of the zinc,
          lead and other alloys though. The best is to stay upwind so you don't
          breath any vapors. Our bodies don't like metal vapors.
          Nelson brought up a good point when pouring ingots. I often do the
          same so I have round and flat stock on hand for my projects. It's a 2
          hour drive (one way) for me to buy stock material. I have flat wood
          patterns made up in various thickness for that purpose.
          We're having a real blizzard here today with visibility varying fro
          0 to maybe 100 ft. Haven't had one like this here for several years.
          Good time to stay home.

          Rupert