need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

  • fred eisner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
      hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred
    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hello Fred,
        I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.
        I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the
        melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.
        See<http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.
        You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the
        casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the
        bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the
        surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get
        more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some
        zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of
        the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting
        bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.
        Hope that answers your question.

        Rupert

        On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:
        > hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred

        > List Owner:

        > -----
        > No virus found in this message.

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
      • fred eisner
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
          hi rupertthanks for your infoi have a new never used graphite cruciblei know that i have to preheat it first and let it slowly cooli was wondering if the bronze will separate during meltingand the lead will burn offso i just mix it before pouring? i will be doing it outside so breathing the fumes will be at a minimum and i will wear protective gear and masksalso since im pouring ingots instead of castings ill be using this as a learning experiencethanks fred
          To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
          From: rwenig2@...
          Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700
          Subject: Re: [hobbicast] need info on melting 660 bearing bronze

          Hello Fred,

          I'm not sure what you mean by the proper procedure to melt bronze.

          I find the main difference between melting aluminum and bronze is the

          melting temperature. 660 melts at around 1800F.

          Seehttp://www.matweb.com/search/datasheet.aspx?matguid=b673f55f412f40ae9ee03e9986747016&ckck=1>.

          You might need some superheat on top of the melt temp depending on the

          casting your pouring. I put a couple of tablespoons of Borax in the

          bottom of the crucible when I start the melt to help bring crud to the

          surface to be skimmed off before the pour. You will find that you get

          more smoke until any oils or grease has burnt off. You might get some

          zinc burn off if you get the temp too high. Best not to breath any of

          the fumes that might be given off. And, don't even think of melting

          bronze in a steel crucible as steel will be very weak at that temperature.

          Hope that answers your question.

          Rupert

          On 2/12/2013 2:26 PM, fred eisner wrote:

          > hi guys - i want to know what the proper procedure is for melting 660 bearing bronze - i want to melt scrap into ingots - thanks fred

          > List Owner:

          > -----

          > No virus found in this message.

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig

          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

        • Nelson Collar
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
            Fred
            If you are just melting the bronze to melt it take it and instead of ingot make a mold to make a stock piece like a flat bar or a larger rectangular piece that you might be able to use. The more you melt bronze or brass the more you loose some other metal that melt at a lower temp.
            Just 2 cents of advice, take it in good spirits
            Nelson Collar

            ________________________________
            To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
            From: rwenig2@...
            Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700

              To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com

              From: rwenig2@...

              Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:23:15 -0700

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2013
                Hello Fred,
                It is best to condition the crucible as per the instructions that
                come with a new one. I haven't found any problems with the alloy
                separating during melting. You may get some off gassing of the zinc,
                lead and other alloys though. The best is to stay upwind so you don't
                breath any vapors. Our bodies don't like metal vapors.
                Nelson brought up a good point when pouring ingots. I often do the
                same so I have round and flat stock on hand for my projects. It's a 2
                hour drive (one way) for me to buy stock material. I have flat wood
                patterns made up in various thickness for that purpose.
                We're having a real blizzard here today with visibility varying fro
                0 to maybe 100 ft. Haven't had one like this here for several years.
                Good time to stay home.

                Rupert