Re: [hobbicast] Re: Proportionate wt of MDF to Al

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10 2:54 PM
      Thanks Guys for the info. I have to double check the dimensions of
      my crucible. It will be close to the limits.

      Rupert

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10 3:25 PM
        On Feb 10, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Rupert wrote:

        > Thanks Guys for the info. I have to double check the dimensions of
        > my crucible. It will be close to the limits.

        Don't forget runners, gates, risers, sprue etc…

        Cheers,

        Jeshua Lacock
        Founder/Engineer
        3DTOPO Incorporated
        <http://3DTOPO.com>
        Phone: 208.462.4171
      • mikey98118
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10 5:32 PM
          Vortex burner update:

          Lazy Man’s Vortex Burner
          The simplest way to construct a Vortex burner is to use a stainless steel sausage stuffing tube as the basic building unit on which to mount the burner’s other parts; these tubes come already connected to their own bell housings or funnel shapes, so you don’t have to “braze stainless”; always an expensive construction technique.
          Their extra wide, and very flat, rims at the open ends of the housings/funnels, (normally employed to help effectively trap them on sausage grinders) promote easy mounting of both axial motor and gas tube onto the opening, and their long tubes can slide easily into still longer mixing tubes, on which spacer rings and flame nozzles can be mounted. This eliminates any need for fit-up and silver brazing of parts; it also simplifies mounting the motor and gas fittings.
          Unfortunately stuffing tubes come in a limited amount of sizes; they can only be used to construct 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, and 1” burners. 1/8”, 3/16”, 3/4”, or larger than 1” burners require more complicated construction methods.
          The axial fans are low power 5V and 12V DC muffin fans that are run more often than not run on minimum battery power (ex. a 9V battery or wall-wart to power a 12V fan).
          Your fan is mounted on the backside of a 3/8” thick aluminum, brass, plastic or even wooden washer, which is attached to the funnel rim with screws that are threaded into the washer through larger holes drilled in the rim. The motor mounts over the washer’s inside hole, which matches the motors blade diameter with four screws. A hole is drilled from the washer’s outer edge to the inner hole (aimed at its center).
          A 1/8” annealed refrigeration tube gets snaked through this hole, and bent down at right angles toward the mixing tube at the funnel’s small end. A 1/2” long copper or brass capillary tube is soldered or brazed into the end of the refrigeration tube; the tube’s other end has a barbed or threaded pipe coupling attached. Pull the tube forward until the gas jet ends about 5/16” short of the funnel’s small opening, center it, and trap it in place with glue, or solder.
          Note: Use 0.020” orifice size copper or brass capillary tube on 1/4” burner; 0.025” to 0.028” orifice on 3/8” burner; 0.032” orifice size on 1/2” burner; 0.044” to 0.048” orifice on 1” burner.
          Do not buy the mixing tube, spacer ring, or flame nozzle material until you have the sausage stuffing tube on hand; measure it with cheap digital calipers from Harbor Freight Tools, before going to Onlinemetals.com and ordering the other parts; they should be stainless steel, although D.O.M makes a nice mixing tube. How much work fit-up between stuffing tube stem and the mixing tube (which should be eighteen times the stem's diameter in length depends on plus/minus tolerances in both parts). However, you can power sand only an inch or so for a tight fit in the mixing tube’s end, and slit the stem down its length, leaving only the last inch intact for a tight fit.
          The spacer ring between mixing tube and flame nozzle should be one inch long, and at least 3/16” thick. The flame nozzle should be 2-1/4” long; both parts should be pinned together in three equally distant places with 10-24 Allen screws, and they should slide freely together on the mixing tube. Sand or file all burrs.
          Unlike earlier burner designs, there is a lot of “wriggle room” in flame nozzle diameters and tuning parameters.
          LEM 606A stainless steel sausage stuffing tube; this consists of a 1-9/16” diameter bell housing with wide rim, which is already connected to a 3/8” diameter by 6-3/4” long tube ($21.55 and shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Sausage-Stuffing-Stuffers/dp/B005U4AZ9M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_3
          Tubing size is always listed by outside diameter; inside diameter is going to be thirty to fifty thousandths of an inch smaller, depending on the manufacturer. 3/8” tube at 0.375” is only thirty to fifty thousandths smaller than the inside diameter of 1/4” schedule #40 pipe.
          LEM 606A stainless steel sausage stuffing tube; this consists of a 1-9/16” diameter extra-long funnel with wide rim, which is already connected to a 3/8” diameter long tube; 6-3/4” length ($22.95 and shipping): http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/lem606a.html?utm_source=lem606a&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=COaF9_74nbUCFWPhQgodeGUAjw This tube is nearest to 1/4” schedule #40 pipe.
          #32 x 1/2" diameter stainless steel sausage stuffing tube ($12.75 and shipping); this consists of a bell housing with extra wide rim, which is already connected to a long tube (9” overall length): http://www.amazon.com/narrow-Stuffing-sausage-Sticks-Weiners/dp/B007WWMX7C/ref=sr_1_67?ie=UTF8&qid=1360021529&sr=8-67&keywords=stainless+steel+funnel+small This tube is nine thousandths larger inside diameter than 3/8” schedule #40 pipe.
          #32 x 3/4" diameter stainless steel sausage stuffing tube ($16.75 and shipping); this consists of a bell housing with extra wide rim, which is already connected to a long tube (9” overall length): http://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Stuffing-grinders-LEM-Cabelas/dp/B007WO4VXY/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=AVD56TC78HQKD This tube is one-hundred and eighteen thousandths larger inside diameter than 1/2” schedule #40 pipe.
          #32 x 1-1/4" diameter stainless steel sausage stuffing tube ($16.75 and shipping); this consists of a bell housing with extra wide rim, which is already connected to a long tube (9” overall length): http://www.amazon.com/large-Stuffing-Grinders-Sausage-Making/dp/B007WNWTIO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4 This tube is at least fifty thousandths larger inside diameter than 1” schedule #40 pipe.
          Combination of three different sized (3/8”, 3/4”, and 1-1/4” diameter by 7” long) sausage stuffing tubes, with conical shaped housings ($39.75 and shipping) : http://www.amazon.com/Sausage-Stuffing-Grinder-electric-grinders/dp/B008H51OLE/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=AVD56TC78HQKD
          Michael Porter (author of Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces, and Kilns).

        • smuel10263
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 19, 2015

            book iron castings handook for sale 831 pages ex. condition  $29 + shipping ray mueller please reply off line or call 314-989-9650