Re: [hobbicast] press project

  • Allen Powell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
      Stone Tool,

      Are going to be pressurizing your cylinder to 10,000 PSI? You'll need that
      if your going to be using a 4" bore cylinder with a 1 1/2" rod. Are you
      using a hand pump? What is the cylinder stroke? What will pump
      displacement be and how fast do you expect the the rod to travel full
      stroke? Double or single acting? What will you be using for a valve?

      Check this site out:
      http://www.tksimplex.com/customfiles/R%20SERIES.pdf

      http://www.tksimplex.com/html/product_detail.php?pid=295&catname=Hydraulic%20Steel%20Cylinders&scatname=Spring%20Return%20%28R%20Series%29

      Not trying yo dissuade you, but...

      Al

      On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM, StoneTool <owly@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Good Thought Stephen:
      >
      > .........I would need to be wound under a lot of tension to do any
      > good. If not the tube would still expand losing the dimension for the
      > seal.
      >
      > I've also thought of using sand lightly coated with epoxy resin and
      > put packed in under pressure with a hydraulic press.
      >
      > The distortion issue is one that bothered me somewhat, as I have no
      > idea how much distortion one would get. The outer pipe could poured
      > full of aluminum with a core so once the core was knocked out, it could
      > be easily machined for a press fit also. That would eliminate the
      > distortion issue.
      >
      > In the same vein, I could make a pair of clips out of steel similar
      > to what are used to hold axles into a Chevy rear axle....just two half
      > rounds, fairly thick, machine a groove in the ram to match them, and
      > machine a piece of steel that was a fairly tight fit around the ram....
      > one you have to heat to slip it on, with a pocket that matched the
      > clips. Slip the piece down over the clips, and weld the clips into the
      > piece, giving myself a fairly large diameter flange around the ram which
      > the aluminum piston could slide down against and be attached with a
      > couple of small screws. A four piece arrangement..........
      >
      > Howard
      >
      > On 01/23/2013 11:13 AM, Stephen Lovely wrote:
      > > Rather than pouring the aluminum around the 4 inch tube I would suggest
      > > winding it with wire. Stanley Steamer boiler barrels were wound this way
      > > and I knew someone with a shotgun that had a thin steel barrel wound with
      > > fibreglass to keep the weight down. This should also eliminate the
      > warping
      > > of the tube you might get from pouring aluminum around it.
      > >
      > > Stephen C. Lovely
      > >
      > > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM, StoneToolowly@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>
      > >> 1: The material required to build a 4" cylinder capable of 10,000 PSI
      > >> is quite expensive and not locally available. I propose to use
      > >> ordinary 3/8" wall 4" honed tubing, place it inside considerably larger
      > >> diameter ordinary pipe, say 6", and pour the intervening space full of
      > >> aluminum.

      > > List Owner:
      > > owly@...
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • StoneTool
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
        Good Thought Stephen:

        .........I would need to be wound under a lot of tension to do any
        good. If not the tube would still expand losing the dimension for the
        seal.

        I've also thought of using sand lightly coated with epoxy resin and
        put packed in under pressure with a hydraulic press.

        The distortion issue is one that bothered me somewhat, as I have no
        idea how much distortion one would get. The outer pipe could poured
        full of aluminum with a core so once the core was knocked out, it could
        be easily machined for a press fit also. That would eliminate the
        distortion issue.

        In the same vein, I could make a pair of clips out of steel similar
        to what are used to hold axles into a Chevy rear axle....just two half
        rounds, fairly thick, machine a groove in the ram to match them, and
        machine a piece of steel that was a fairly tight fit around the ram....
        one you have to heat to slip it on, with a pocket that matched the
        clips. Slip the piece down over the clips, and weld the clips into the
        piece, giving myself a fairly large diameter flange around the ram which
        the aluminum piston could slide down against and be attached with a
        couple of small screws. A four piece arrangement..........

        Howard

        On 01/23/2013 11:13 AM, Stephen Lovely wrote:
        > Rather than pouring the aluminum around the 4 inch tube I would suggest
        > winding it with wire. Stanley Steamer boiler barrels were wound this way
        > and I knew someone with a shotgun that had a thin steel barrel wound with
        > fibreglass to keep the weight down. This should also eliminate the warping
        > of the tube you might get from pouring aluminum around it.
        >
        > Stephen C. Lovely
        >
        > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM, StoneTool<owly@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>
        >> 1: The material required to build a 4" cylinder capable of 10,000 PSI
        >> is quite expensive and not locally available. I propose to use
        >> ordinary 3/8" wall 4" honed tubing, place it inside considerably larger
        >> diameter ordinary pipe, say 6", and pour the intervening space full of
        >> aluminum.

        > List Owner:

      • redlupmi2
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
          I'll share my experience.

          I don't think an aluminum piston will transmit that much pressure to a 1-1/2" steel rod, without deforming. Besides the columnar strength required due to length.

          My 25T Dake has deformed the end of the 1-1/4" diameter screw many times. And has swelled the ends of CRS 1" dia. push pins to hour glass shape. I was hiding behind the upright as best I could, to avoid possible shrapnel.

          The 25T Dake has a 3-7/8" dia. bore and 2-1/2" rod, with 1-1/2" adjusting screw with currently 1-1/4" end.

          Have a 150T Dake 8" dia. bore, also. It is scary when using it, as everything has to be secure, and perpendicular. Any miss alignment and those big blocks travel a loooooooooog way when anything slips.

          4"id x 5"OD tubing is readily available from my usual source Bailey Sales Knoxville, TN. (They sell components too) But looks like 1-1/4" wall is used by the ones using 10k psi and required to stand behind or beside their products.

          As for securing the piston to the rod for a double ended cylinder, I would have an interference fit (.001/inch) between the piston and rod, with a three piece ring to slip into the appropriate groove machined in the rod, and secured by a counterbore in the piston. The three piece ring has to withstand the shearing force of the pressure applied to the piston.

          Heat piston, quickly slip on rod, while securing three piece ring. I've worked on lower pressure double end cylinders the piston was only secured by the interference fit. And these cylinders were required to push and pull, where your design only requires high pressure one direction.

          If in doubt, could install a spiral lock retaining ring above the piston for peace of mind.

          Plan carefully, and work safely.

          R.T. :D

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, StoneTool wrote:

> [...]
          > vertical square tubes, and a bottom tube hang from the two horizontal
          > channels that extend from the main post. Each of these frames is half
          > of the press frame, and has a channel table that can be raised or
          > lowered to the correct height. Because these frames are independent
          > and free floating, they can be slid to any spacing or angle desired.
          > Clamping bars above the top channels of these frames clamp them firmly
          > down to the two channels they hang from so they do not move once
          > placed. The two channels these frames hang from have the press cylinder
          > attached between them in a fixed location (center).
          >
          > Now that the above is clear as mud ;-)........... on to the
          > casting portion of the project:
          >
          > 1: The material required to build a 4" cylinder capable of 10,000 PSI
          > is quite expensive and not locally available. I propose to use
          > ordinary 3/8" wall 4" honed tubing, place it inside considerably larger
          > diameter ordinary pipe, say 6", and pour the intervening space full of
          > aluminum
          >

          > 2: This cylinder will have a ram that passes completely through both
          > ends, with the piston in the middle or thereabouts. The problem here
          > is that I need to attach a piston capable of transmitting 50 tons to the
          > ram. That means either I must use a stepped shaft so the piston has a
          > ledge to press on, which means turning the upper portion down and having
          > it ground for the high pressure seal, or start with a 4" shaft and turn
          > it down, leaving the center portion as the piston............ A LOT of
          > material to remove.
          >
          > The third option is to take a 1.5" shaft, and turn a groove into it
          > to accept a heavy snap ring or something of the sort, and simply pour
          > the ram right on the shaft. This of course means designing the mold so
          > I can turn out a pocket in the aluminum ram to accept a pressure seal or
          > just a high pressure O-ring. No big deal.
          >

          > Option3 appeals to me.............. any thoughts?
          >
          > * Now to the why of it. The first part, the press design is pretty
          > obvious, but the ram design may not be as obvious to some. Here are the
          > reasons.
          >
          > 1: Keeping the spacing between the support points constant as the
          > cylinder extends. That is to say that with an ordinary cylinder, as the
          > ram approaches the end bushing any play is magnified. If you have a
          > couple thousandths of an inch at the top of the stroke, there will be
          > quite a bit by the time it is extended.
          >
          > 2: Impact......... I want a press where I can have an impact weight on
          > top....... lifted by air and dropped, and transmit that impact all the
          > way down through the ram. With impact, you can move something at 10
          > tons that would otherwise take the full 50 tons....... and not break it.
          >

          > I would draw up a sketch, but I'm not much of a draftsman........ I
          > know what I want, and have a very clear picture in my head of
          > it............ enough to build it. I tend to do things that way.

        • StoneTool
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
            Allen:
            You surmised correctly........... I have an electric pump that
            pushes 10K that I use with my other 50 ton rams. The stroke will
            probably be about 12". That would give me about 130 cubic inches.
            Travel speed is irrelevant. Presses move pretty slow....... as they
            should. I've never hooked my flow meter up to this pump, but volume is
            quite low. This cylinder will be single acting (hydraulic), with
            compressed air to return it. I use a gate valve rated for 10K right at
            the pump.

            I'm contemplating building a special pumping system that uses a 1
            HP motor driving an ordinary hydraulic cylinder at normal pressures.
            Around 2500 PSI, and a special cylinder with a ram sized so pressure on
            one end will step up pressure on the other end 4x by virtue of ram
            size. The idea being that there would be fast travel (4x), and once
            pressure rose to 2500, oil would be diverted to the special cylinder
            which would then output 10K at 1/4 volume.
            I've planned this system out in some detail a number of times......
            an elegant way to get speed for low pressure jobs and pressure for the
            heavy pressing jobs. I don't think I'll do it right now....... the
            basic press design is what I'm working on.

            Howard

          • StoneTool
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 23, 2013
              RT:
              Thanks for the share............

              I work with 50 ton stuff all the time

              I agree that an aluminum piston will not transmit 50 T to a
              1.5" rod without deforming unless there is steel to spread the force out
              wider. I like an Aluminum piston because of wear. I've seen too many
              steel pistons gall cylinders when the wear bands don't quite do the
              job. In addition seals for that kind of pressure must run at VERY close
              tolerance. I don't like steel on steel when tolerances are very
              close. Cast iron on steel works well, as does brass or aluminum.
              I share your concerns about things blowing out of presses to the
              extent that I once built a press based on a 1" thick steel table with
              various openings, and the press portion moved up and down so your
              working height was always the table top. The idea was to weld support
              structures right to the table for pressing so everything was rigid.
              It's a good machine and still in service. A 12" centrally located round
              hole with a flange beneath it for reinforcement is the primary work
              area, and press blocks of 1" plate are used to bridge the hole. It also
              has a slot 8" wide and a number of other holes, and the cylinder can be
              located at virtually any point on the surface. It uses a 50 ton
              Owatanna porta power cylinder and electric pump. A rather unique and
              elegant system that cost a lot of money by the time I was done...... I
              don't own it and couldn't afford to build one like it for my own use.
              Threaded rods across between the table sections may be needed on
              the press I'm contemplating to maintain their relationship, though I'm
              looking at other and more convenient means of securing them. Top
              clamping alone is probably not enough. I've examined a lot of
              different ways of doing things from top and bottom eccentric clamping to
              hydraulic clamping with press pressure, to half nuts to other positive
              dogging methods. I haven't nailed down a final design yet.

              Howard

            • redlupmi2
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
                Glad to know you have experience with 50 ton presses. Some pay a high price for the experience.

                A local hydraulic cylinder builder takes a steel piston and brazes a layer of brass or welds a layer of silicon bronze to the OD of some of their pistons then machines to finish size.

              • StoneTool
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
                  I have a 50 ton ram with 8" stroke that has a solid brass ram &
                  piston............

                  Howard

                • Steven DePhillips
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
                    Here is a company that sells hydraulic cylinders and stuff at reasonable prices they also have surplus cylinders at even less.  I use them for a lot of my projects  http://www.baileynet.com/%c2%a0  They are in Tennessee  so i don't know ho much the shipping to you would be.  I live in Georgia so its not too bad.

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    >>> Heat piston, quickly slip on rod, while securing three piece ring. I've worked on lower pressure double end cylinders the piston was only secured by the interference fit. And these cylinders were required to push and pull, where your design only requires high pressure one direction.
                    >>>
                    >>> If in doubt, could install a spiral lock retaining ring above the piston for peace of mind.
                    >>>
                    >>> Plan carefully, and work safely.
                    >>>
                    >>> R.T. :D

                    >>> For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
                    >>> check out these two affiliated sites:
                    >>>
                    >>> Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply

                  • StoneTool
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 25, 2013
                      Steven:
                      I do business with Bailey all the time........

                      My cylinder design is significantly different from anything I can
                      readily buy off the shelf. The ram passing completely through the
                      cylinder is an important feature for several reasons. I want to be
                      able to impact the press by jarring the top of the ram, and I also want
                      the stability of having two bushings that remain at the same spacing,
                      rather than the single lower bushing and the ram, which approach each
                      other as the ram extends. That reducing spacing as the ram extends
                      results in more side play as you work further extended. The 10000 psi
                      pressure range matters in terms of size. It would take an 8" cylinder
                      to accomplish the same thing on "conventional pressures". I can get 4"
                      x 4.75" material at the local hydraulic shop where I have an account and
                      get fairly decent prices.

                      Howard