Match Plate and Core Sand Patterns

  • Rod
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 12, 2013
      My latest adventure has been trying to make a rim
      chuck, which is like a camera lens iris with fingers.
      Part one is a back plate for the font disc to rotate.

      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeYNLUNk0E4> shows
      a core box made from Trimplank which is a fraction
      of the cost of expanded pvc like Sintra, available
      at Menards, Lowes and probably every other home
      center. It's just another material for your foundry.

      Anyway, enjoy the video and please don't be afraid
      to ask questions or comment.

      Rod
    • Lyle
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 15, 2013
        I didn't watch the video and haven't really followed this thread but when I've used an aluminum plate sandwiched between two rubber molds to pour urethane plastic into the void in the matchplate, I've discovered it works but over time, the plastic will seperate from the alumium. I've recently been reparing a few matchplates, that I've made over the years....My solid cast ones don't have this problem and are actually easier to make. But they have some drawbacks too....
        LL