Re: casting aluminum spheres (balls)

  • Wonk
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 25, 2012
      Here is a link to casting spheres

      http://www.flamingfurnace.com/
    • postello@msu.edu
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 26, 2012
         It might work.  I have cast aluminum in discarded lightbulbs, supported by loose sand.  The galss does crack, but most of the shape is retained. Be careful when they cool, the glass shatters, and shoots off the casting.   Dan

      • postello@msu.edu
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 26, 2012
           http://www.flickr.com/photos/11159069@N00/7156693149/%c2%a0 more just before and just after vthis on flickr

          Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. _ Frank Vincent Zappa Quoting Ron Thompson <ron@...>:

          > On 12/25/2012 7:58 AM, Ron Vos wrote:
          >> Thanks for all your input! I guess I did not phrase my question
          >> precisely... I was thinking of using the glass christmas ball as the
          >> actual form, pouring the aluminum INTO the ball. Would the glass hold
          >> up the the temperature of melted aluminum?
          > I seriously doubt it, though I have never tried it. I would expect the
          > thermal shock to burst the thin glass ornament.
          >
          > However, you could try it and possibly prove me wrong. Hobbies are all
          > about experimenting and pushing the envelope.
          >
          > Good luck and please keep us informed.
          >
          > --
          >

          > Ron Thompson
          > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
          > Center, USA
          >
          > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
          >
          > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
          >
          > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
          > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
          >
          > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
          > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

        • ebutler4895
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 29, 2012
            I have cast lead in Christmas tree balls but aluminum is about twice as hot as lead.