Re: Al cans

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 27, 2012
      Have you tried it without the borax?

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Robert <rchilso@...> wrote:

      > I Use borax laundry detergent.
      > On 11/26/2012 06:34 PM, geoffrey_roberts@... wrote:
      > >
      > > What do use for flux in melting Al cans? justgeoff
      > >
      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Robert <rchilso@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > When i melt cans i always start with a couple of sprues to build a
      > > small
      > > > puddle in the bottom of my crucible. Then I stack 5-7 cans in the
      > > > crucible and push down into the puddle. after several stacks of cans
      > > > have been melted I press the dross against the side of the crucible to
      > > > Wring out as much al as possible as there is a lot trapped in the dross
      > > > I believe Mr. Gingery claims as much as 40%! When the dross is lose ash
      > > > on top of the melt I skim off and discard. then repeat the process
      > > until
      > > > the crucible is 3/4 Full. Flux and pour into ingots for storage or
      > > > recycling as you will get a lot more for your Al at the recycling
      > > > center. I always get good results although my castings are usually for
      > > > decorations and sculptures and such.

      > > out these

    • Steven DePhillips
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 7, 2012
        About 3-4 months ago in Georgia they passed a law that the scrap yards can only pay in check after making a copy of your drivers licence and licence plate numbers. But the big thing is you cant scrap any AC units without an HVAC licence, large quantity's of copper pipes without a Plumbing licence and large quantity's of copper wire without an being an Electrician. They say it is to stop copper theft.