metals and...

  • BrianW
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hey guys! do any of you have any good references for melting metals. I'm just looking for a good reference/book/notes/advice(experience) on what works for degassing various metals, as well as what material/chemical works best as fluxs for the various casting metals (alum./brass/bronze/etc).? I've done some reading, and looking around, but still don't have a really good knowledge base on these items - I was hoping you all could help.? Thanks in advance for any information back!

      Brian,
    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2012
        Brian,
        I don't use any flux when I melt the ZA alloys. Degassing does do much.
        I found a flux doesn't help me much melting aluminum as I usually melt
        scrap that has been melted before- ie. old pistons. Borax helps some
        when melting scrap extrusions and other thin scrap. Haven't had the need
        to try any of the commercial fluxes. I degas the melt injecting CO2 into
        the bottom of aluminum melts particularly if the scrap is extrusions and
        a lot of thin stuff.
        I use borax and crushed food grade glass as a flux when melting brass
        and bronze. Degassing doesn't do much.
        A trick on requiring degassing is not to overheat the melt and don't
        hold it at pouring temp any longer than necessary. And, stir the melt
        slowly if you do stir it. One more: use a slightly reducing flame and
        make sure no air gets in around the burner.

        Rupert

        --

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2012
          I never use flux for aluminum. As long as you sort your scrap and know what your casting, it isn't needed. I melt pistons, car rims, extrusions, engine blocks, etc. It usually works better if you melt scrap into ingots first as that burns off most of the paint, grease, etc., and then use the ingots for your final castings.