Re: Furnace build

  • ferrman1001
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
      I welded two lugs to the burner and then riveted the burner to the thin steel shell. The zircon paint was $120 for 25 kgs and the rest were odds and ends I had in my workshop.
    • chucketn
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

        my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles.

        I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up.

        Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces.

        I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers.

        If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites.

        I cannot find even a boiler maintenance company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out.

        Chuck

      • Chris Tofu
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
          The Gingery gas fired unit lifted the whole furnace. The "lid" was stationary at the bottom. This provided for picking up the crucible from the sides instead of hoisting it vertically out of a furnace cavity adjacent to your crotch.

          Any fireclay is refractory enough for even a cupola furnace, and in fact that's what they were made of around the turn of the century. It just may be that commercial refractories are more durable, less prone to cracking etc.

          ------------------------------
          On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 8:20 AM PDT chunk07@... wrote:

          >my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles. I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up. Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces. I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers. If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites. I cannot find even a boiler maintenance
          company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out. Chuck

        • David Hair
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

            There is a F.S. Sperry co. near knoxville that carries the plicast line of products. Their home page is

            Here is a link to their product line.

            D.Hair
[...]

            No virus found in this message.

          • dhlh1984
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
              There is a F.S. Sperry co. near knoxville that carries the plicast line of products. Their home page is

              http://www.fssperry.com/knoxville.htm

              Here is a link to their product line.

              http://www.fssperry.com/Plibrico.htm

              D.Hair
            • rodney_grantham
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

                Chuck

                The castable refractory for my tilting crucible furnace was purchased

                from Hebron Brick, which is a local brickworks. Also check with folks who

                repair and install fireplaces and furnaces. http://granthams.com/tilt/ shows

                a few photos of my furnace.

                I've noticed you on the Chaski site, so you have likely seen my video showing

                my furnace in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRszKI0OOgM . Once

                you've done a little casting, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

                Good luck

                Rod

                ---In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

              • Chuck
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013
                  Thank you Mr Hair. I've searched and searched for a local distributor of
                  castable refractory. but haven't found one. That distributor is
                  conveniently near McGee-Tyson AFB, where I go to the BX about every 6
                  weeks. I'll definitely check them out.
                  How did you find them? Are you in TN?
                  Thanks again for the info.

                  --
                  Chuck
                • chucketn

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2013

                      Chuck,

                      Glad I could help out. Hope you have a fine time with your new furnace.

                      David Hair