Furnace build

  • ferrman1001
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
      Hi every one

      I made a video about how I made a small furnace using propane to melt cast iron. Click onto the link to watch it http://youtu.be/1DyeESQpac0
    • Rod
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "ferrman1001" <ferrman1001@...> wrote:

        > Hi every one
        >
        > I made a video about how I made a small furnace using propane to melt cast iron. Click onto the link to watch it http://youtu.be/1DyeESQpac0

        Very nice. How did you attach/weld the burner tube to
        the thin furnace shell? And what did it cost to build?
        Thanks for sharing.

        Rod
      • ferrman1001
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2012
          I welded two lugs to the burner and then riveted the burner to the thin steel shell. The zircon paint was $120 for 25 kgs and the rest were odds and ends I had in my workshop.
        • chucketn
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

            my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles.

            I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up.

            Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces.

            I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers.

            If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites.

            I cannot find even a boiler maintenance company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out.

            Chuck

          • Chris Tofu
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
              The Gingery gas fired unit lifted the whole furnace. The "lid" was stationary at the bottom. This provided for picking up the crucible from the sides instead of hoisting it vertically out of a furnace cavity adjacent to your crotch.

              Any fireclay is refractory enough for even a cupola furnace, and in fact that's what they were made of around the turn of the century. It just may be that commercial refractories are more durable, less prone to cracking etc.

              ------------------------------
              On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 8:20 AM PDT chunk07@... wrote:

              >my casting buddy and I are getting ready to build our first furnaces. I have several choices of containers. I have a empty freon bottle, empty propane tank, and 2 old water tanks. We will be starting with aluminum and brass, using home made steel crucibles. I need a source of castable refractory close to Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, TN area. I have not found any here. Budget constraints preclude shipping costs, but I'm willing to travel as far as 150 miles to pick up. Second question, does anyone have examples, drawings, discussions of the Gingery style lid lifter or something similar. My buddy and I are both wanting a simple lid lifting/rotating devise for our furnaces. I have found a source of fireclay, sand and bentonite for green sand, and my buddy is building a pair of Vontorne mullers. If we must, we are prepared to make castable refractory from the recipies found in several books and websites. I cannot find even a boiler maintenance
              company in the area that might have commertial castable.Every lead I've gotten has not panned out. Chuck

            • David Hair
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

                There is a F.S. Sperry co. near knoxville that carries the plicast line of products. Their home page is

                Here is a link to their product line.

                D.Hair
[...]

                No virus found in this message.

              • dhlh1984
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
                  There is a F.S. Sperry co. near knoxville that carries the plicast line of products. Their home page is

                  http://www.fssperry.com/knoxville.htm

                  Here is a link to their product line.

                  http://www.fssperry.com/Plibrico.htm

                  D.Hair
                • rodney_grantham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

                    Chuck

                    The castable refractory for my tilting crucible furnace was purchased

                    from Hebron Brick, which is a local brickworks. Also check with folks who

                    repair and install fireplaces and furnaces. http://granthams.com/tilt/ shows

                    a few photos of my furnace.

                    I've noticed you on the Chaski site, so you have likely seen my video showing

                    my furnace in action, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRszKI0OOgM . Once

                    you've done a little casting, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

                    Good luck

                    Rod

                    ---In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                  • Chuck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013
                      Thank you Mr Hair. I've searched and searched for a local distributor of
                      castable refractory. but haven't found one. That distributor is
                      conveniently near McGee-Tyson AFB, where I go to the BX about every 6
                      weeks. I'll definitely check them out.
                      How did you find them? Are you in TN?
                      Thanks again for the info.

                      --
                      Chuck
                    • chucketn

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 25, 2013

                          Chuck,

                          Glad I could help out. Hope you have a fine time with your new furnace.

                          David Hair