Re: [hobbicast] Re: aluminium casting for technical school

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2012
      On Oct 7, 2012, at 11:34 AM, shondabarda wrote:

      > Thank you all for your information. We don't have the time of the right printer to do investment casting, but that is an amazing method. we got out hands on a cope and drag and we just need to get some green sand and well be in business. thank you all.

      What 3d printer are you using?

      Cheers,

      Jeshua Lacock
      Founder/Engineer
      3DTOPO Incorporated
      <http://3DTOPO.com>
      Phone: 208.462.4171
    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2012
        Sure Cast up in Blaine might sell you some mixed petrobond. About 15 years or so ago, they used to mix it for some schools. Miracle Metals in Bloomingtin has sold greensand too but I've never delt with them.
        Or, take a road trip up I-94 and I'll show you how to di it here.

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "shondabarda" <jershond@...> wrote:

        > Thank you all for your information. We don't have the time of the right printer to do investment casting, but that is an amazing method. we got out hands on a cope and drag and we just need to get some green sand and well be in business. thank you all.
        >
        > -shonda
        >
        > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "creepinogie" <creepinogie@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hennepin Technical College used to have (maybe still does) a foundry just a few blocks from Dunwoody. If not, you can make all the equipment you need for fairly cheap. You're lucky as Minneapolis has lots of foundry suppliers. For starters, I'd read "How to cast small metal and rubber parts" by WA Cannon. And build the 5 gallon bucket furnace he has in that book. You can buy ingot just down the street on East Hennepin at Kronick Ind. Ahh, Dunwoody gives me some memories...
        > >

        > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "shondabarda" <jershond@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > My name is Shonda, I'm a student at Dunwoody College of Technology in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Were are doing a engineering project, CAD modeling original putter designs, were going to be 3D printing the models when were done. However a few of us want to try to sand cast the models in aluminium. None of us have ever done casting and the only equipment we have is a welding shop, so acetylene torches and crucibles (I think the crucibles may have been used for lead though).
        > > >
        > > > Do any of you have suggestions of how we could make the castings and what equipment we would need and where to purchase it, or if we could make it ourselves.
        > > >
        > > > Thank you for your time,
        > > > -Shonda Baker

      • shondabarda
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 9, 2012
          uPrint SE I think, I'll check it later today.
          -Shonda

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2012
            On Oct 9, 2012, at 6:43 AM, shondabarda wrote:

            > uPrint SE I think, I'll check it later today.

            Looks like the uPrint prints ABS.

            I haven't done it but you should be able to use the same investment method with ABS as I did with PLA.

            ABS would require higher burn out temperatures than PLA, and will emit nasty fumes compared to PLA, but as long as you have proper ventilation for your furnace I do not think it would be cause for too much concern.

            Anyways - perhaps an option to try.

            Best,

            Jeshua Lacock
            Founder/Engineer