Re: [hobbicast] Waste Oil/Diesel Burner Nozzle

  • StoneTool
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 11, 2012
      Just a semi-unrelated note of interest regarding the burning of VO
      and WVO in engines. In engines that do NOT have a precombustion
      chamber (direct injection) both veg oil and waste veg oil as fuels
      simply do not work decently. While they will burn, the temps are not
      high enough to vaporize and combust certain elements of the oil and the
      result is problems in the engine lubrication system as those materials
      find their way into the engine oil. People who run WVO or straight VO
      virtually all eventually have enough problems that they typically
      abandon it.
      Biodiesel is the product of reacting veg oil or wvo with caustic
      (potassium hydroxide) dissolved in methanol, heating and agitating it.
      The result is excellent biodiesel that causes NO problems, and a
      significant percentage of glycerol. The glycerol is a "byproduct or
      waste product", and is a good fuel for heating in a burner set up for it.
      The process is simple, and the reactor is easy to build, but there
      is some expense in it. I would suggest that a good fuel source would
      be from a biodiesel operation, and that setting up a biodiesel reactor
      and running it as a business....... let others collect and you process
      for a fee, would offer a nice fuel source from the waste glycerol.
      Heat from the crucible furnace could be used to heat the wvo in the
      conversion process, and the waste product would provide the heat. You
      could produce your own motor fuel at the same time. Two symbiotic small
      businesses......... casting and fuel processing...... could co-exist
      nicely under "one roof".

      Howard

      On 07/11/2012 02:36 AM, Matthew Tinker wrote:
      > An interesting similar situation, the use of vegetable oil in diesel engines. To enable the oil to be sufficiently fluid for it to be injected it has to be pre heated, the older engines used around 120bars. I have no experience with the "modern" ones, but from what I can see they are much higher pressure.
      >
      > "Petrol" (Gas) injection systems run at 2 to 3 bars. A car or motorbike pump and pressure relief valve could be a useful source of pressure and regulation.
      >

      > I think it would be a good idea to have an alternative parallel diesel supply for starting and flushing the heavier oil from the system when shutting of.
      >

      > Regards, Matthew
      >

      > Matthew TINKER
      > CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
      > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519

    • Steven DePhillips
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 12, 2012
        Your right it is complex I wonder how long it took to perfect that setup.  Definitively over my head.