Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

homemade bronze

Expand Messages
  • ferrman1001
    I had a go at making bronze and I used pewter as a source of tin. It worked really well and I made two videos on how I did it. http://youtu.be/A4Tl1nEUQGk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2012
      I had a go at making bronze and I used pewter as a source of tin. It worked really well and I made two videos on how I did it.

      http://youtu.be/A4Tl1nEUQGk http://youtu.be/1cRg2Anw_ls

      Can anyone tell me what is in pewter? On the bottom of the mug I used it says 97% Sn but what is in the other 3%? I think it could be copper and antimony.
      Ernie
    • John Junkroski
      Found this at Answers Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. It may also contain phosphorus, manganese, aluminum, or silicon. It is not of fixed ratios. ...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2012
        Found this at "Answers"

        Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin. It may also contain phosphorus, manganese, aluminum, or silicon.
        It is not of fixed ratios.

        >
        > The following tables present the composition and physical properties of many common alloys. All compositions are given in mass per cents. For example, 50Bi, 25Pb, 12.5Sn, 12.5Cd means 50% Bi, 25% Pb, 12.5% Sn and 12.5% Cd, all by mass. There is a main table immediately below and a supplementary table below that. The tables may contain errors. If the you detect an error please respond to the e-mail address at the bottom of the second table so that the error can be corrected.
        >
        > This table is in the public domain. Users are encouraged to copy and to distribute it without restriction.


        > Copper 99.9 + Cu
        > Deoxidized copper 8.50 17.71e-6 1082 99.90 + Cu, 0.01P
        > Deoxidized copper 8.91 17.71
        > 1082 90Cu, 10Al
        > Resistac 1066 80-90Cu, 8-10Al, 6-7FeAmpco Metal 7.20 649 88-96.1Cu, 2.3-10.5Al, Fe, Sn
        > Aluminum bronze 7.50-8.19 1038-71 50Cu, 25Au, 25Ag
        > Cooper's pen metal 47Cu, 33Au, 20Ag
        > Gold 8 carat 40Cu, 31Au, 19Ag, 10Pd
        > Palladium gold 77Cu, 15Pb, 8Sn "B" Alloy, P.R.R. 95Cu, 5Mn
        > Manganese bronze 8.8 1060 82-6Cu, 4-15Mn, 2-12Ni, Fe
        > Manganin 82Cu, 15Mn, 3Ni
        > Manganin 8.5 70Cu, 25Mn, 5Ni
        > Manganin 61Cu, 26Mn, 13Al
        > Magnetic alloy 88.5Cu, 5Ni, 5Sn, 1.5Si
        > Barberite 8.80 1070 80Cu, 20Ni
        > Nickeline 8.5 1185 75Cu, 25Ni
        > Nickel coinage, U.S.A 1205 75Cu, 20Ni, 5Zn 8.58 16.40 1150 65Cu, 18Ni, 17Zn Nickel silver 18% A 8.75 18.36 1110 60Cu, 40Ni Constantan 8.4 1280 55-65Cu, 12-18Ni, 11-17Zn 8-12Fe, 0.5-1Si Glass mold alloy, U.S.P. 1,360,773 57Cu, 20Ni, 20Zn, 3Al Typewriter metal 55Cu, 18Ni, 27Zn Nickel silver 18% B 8.69 1055 45-60Cu, 40-55Ni, 0-1.4-Mn, 0.1C, Fe Constantan 45Cu, 33Ni, 16Sn, 5.5Zn, 1Bi
        > Sea water bronze 67-81Cu, 19-30Pt, 0-4Zn
        > Cooper's gold 94.8-96Cu, 3-4Si, 1-1.2Mn 8.46 16.99 1000 98.55Cu, 1.40Sn Phono-electric wire 95.5Cu, 4.3Sn, 0.2P
        > Phosphor bronze 30 8.91 18.90 1050 95Cu, 4Sn, 1Zn
        > Coinage bronze 8.96 92-7Cu, 1-8Sn, 0-2ZnMedal bronze 91.6Cu, 8.25Sn, 0.15Phosphor bronze 47 8.91 90Cu, 10Sn, trace P
        > Phosphor bronze 209 9.00 90Cu, 10Sn
        > Bronze, gun metal 8.8 18 1000 88Cu, 10Sn, 2Zn U.S.
        > Government bronze, spec. G 82Cu, 16Sn, 2Zn
        > Bronze bearings 83Cu, 14Sn, 3.5Pb
        > Naval journal bearing, spec. HX 83Cu, 14Sn, 3.5Zn
        > Naval journal bearing, spec. H 83Cu, 14Sn, 3Zn, 0.8P U.S.
        > Government bronze, spec. H 79.7Cu, 10Sn, 9.5Sb, 0.8P
        > Phosphor bronze 8.8 78Cu, 22Sn
        > Bell metal 8.7 870 67Cu, 33Sn
        > Bronze, speculum metal 8.6 18.6 745 58Cu, 28Sn, 9.5Pt, 3.5Zn, 1.5As
        > Cooper's mirror 90Cu, 10Z
        > Commercial bronze; red brass 8.80 18.18e-6 1050 89Cu, 9Zn, 2Pb
        Hardware bronze 8.83 18.18 1050 85Cu, 15Zn
        Red brass 8.75 18.72 1030 85Cu, 13Zn, 2Sn Pen metal 84Cu, 16Zn Medal metal 70Cu, 29Ni, 1Sn Adnic. 16.29 1205 70Cu, 29Zn, 1Sn Admiralty 8.17 20.16 935 67-72Cu, 28-33Zn, Pb, Fe Spring brass 67-70Cu, 30-33Zn, Pb, Fe Cartridge brass 67Cu, 33Zn Brass, ordinary yellow 8.40 18.5 940 64Cu, 25Zn, 8.5Pb, 2.5Sn Ship nail brass 61.2Cu, 37.3Zn, 0.9Sn, 0.4Pb, 0.2Fe 61Cu, 39Zn Pin wire brass 905 60-1Cu, 31-7Zn, 1.4Sn, 0.7-.9Pb Pewter, for clock work 60Cu, 40Zn Muntz metal 840 60Cu, 25Zn, 15Ni German silver 18.4 60Cu, 19Zn, 10Al, 6Fe, 5Mn Hytensl bronze 980 58Cu, 42Zn Solder very refractory 850 58Cu, 17.5Zn, 11.5Ni, 11Co, 2Ag Chinese silver 57Cu, 28Zn, 15Sn Solder, very soft, white 55Cu, 45Zn For brazing 55Cu, 25Zn, 20Ni German silver, common formula 53Cu, 43Zn, 1.3Sn, 0.3Pb Solder, hard yellow 53Cu, 39Zn, 2.7Zn, 2.5Ni, 1.7Mn, 0.2Al Manganin 52Cu, 26Zn, 22Ni German silver 8.45 51Cu, 32Zn, 9.5Pb, 6.4Ni, 1.6Sn Dienett's German silver 50Cu, 50Zn Solder, refractory 900 50-7Cu, 43-50Zn Solder hard 50-62Cu, 20-32Zn, 12-30Ni German silver, Birmingham 50-60Cu, 20-5Zn, 20-5Ni German silver, Austrian (Gersdorf) 46Cu, 34Zn, 20Ni German silver, best

        From Composition and Physical Properties of Alloys

        ( Several pewters noted)

        Tin 78Sn 9Al, 8Zn, 5Cd Aluminum solder,
        Bu. Stands. SN1 70-94Sn, 3.7-15Sb, 1.8-5Cu, 0-9Pb, 0-5Zn
        Brittania metal, German 90-lSn, 7-8Sb, 1.4Cu
        Brittania metal, plate 90Sn, 10Sb
        Brittania 255 90Sn, 7Sb, 3Cu Babbitt 85-90Sn, 9-11Sb, 0-3Zn, 0.2-1Cu
        Brittania metal, cast 85-90Sn, 5-10Sb, 1-3Cu, 0-3Zn, 0-2Bi
        Brittania metal, English 89Sn, 7.3Sb, 3.7Cu
        Babbitt metal 85-8Sn, 5.6-15Sb, 1-5Bi, 0.1-3.7 Cu, 0-1.5Zn
        Brittania metal, spoons 82Sn, 12Sb, 6Cu
        White metal 80Sn 20Sb 320 75Sn, 12.5Sb, 12.5Cu
        Antifriction 7.53 233 72Sn, 24Sb, 3.9Cu
        Brittania metal, plate (Ludenscheidt) 68Sn, 32Cd 7.70 180 85Sn, 6.8Cu, 6Bi 1.7Sb
        Pewter 83Sn, 8.4Cu, 8.3Sb
        Hard babbitt 97Sn,3Cu
        Rhine metal 7.35 300 74-89Sn, 0-20Pb, 0-7.6Sb, 0-3.5Cu, Zn,
        Pewter 88Sn, 8Pb, 4Cu, 0.5Sb
        Tinfoil 67Sn, 33Pb
        Solder, tinman's 180 60Sn, 40Pb
        Tinsel 50Sn, 32Pb, 18Cd
        Eutectic fusible alloy 145 86Sn, 9Zn, 5Al
        Aluminum sokler, Bu. Stands. SN4 86Sn, 9Zn, 5Al, 0.25P
        Aluminum solder, Bu. Stands. SN3 73Sn, 21Zn, 5Pb, 1P,
        Sn Aluminum solder, Seifert 69Sn, 26Zn, 2.4Al, 2.4P
        Aluminum solder, Bu. Stands. SN2 62Sn, 15Zn, 11Al, 8.3Pb, 2.5Cu, 1.2Sb
        Aluminum solder, Sterling 65Sn, 33Zn, 11Al, 1Cu
        Aluminum solder, Soluminium 48Sn 48Zn, 3Cu, 1Pb, 1Sb
        Brittania metal cast 41Sn 287,n, 3Cu, 0.6Mn,
        Aluminum solder, U.S P. 1,332,899

        John

        Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Give_the_Composition_of_Bronze._Please_its_urgent#ixzz1xYqjGW49
        On Jun 11, 2012, at 11:46 PM, ferrman1001 wrote:

        > I had a go at making bronze and I used pewter as a source of tin. It worked really well and I made two videos on how I did it.
        >
        > http://youtu.be/A4Tl1nEUQGk http://youtu.be/1cRg2Anw_ls
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what is in pewter? On the bottom of the mug I used it says 97% Sn but what is in the other 3%? I think it could be copper and antimony.
        > Ernie
        >
        >



        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.