Re: [hobbicast] anneal aluminum sheet

  • Matthew Tinker
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20 12:24 PM
      I don't know why you need to hold the temperature for two hours,once it's up to heat, it's good. I learnt to use soup rubbed on the back, heat with a torch until the soap turns black. You need to heat evenly! The soap is supposed to stop you melting it by mistake!

      Matthew TINKER
      CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
      http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20 12:24 PM
        Burning the soot off is a standard practice when "normalizing" chrome
        moly aircraft tubing after welding a "cluster". The flame is then
        pulled back allowing a slow cooling so it won't get hard and brittle....
        Not exactly an annealing process, but related.......... aluminum of
        course has different characteristics.

        Here is a page which details annealing procedures very clearly and simply:

        http://www.mlevel3.com/BCIT/heat%20treat.htm

        Howard

        On 05/20/2012 11:39 AM, Stephen Lovely wrote:
        > I read once about a person forming aluminum sheet for car bodywork
        > or something. He worked it until it got hard, then got out the acetylene
        > torch. He sooted it up with an all acetylene flame, then put the oxygen
        > in the flame and heated it from clean side. When the soot disappeared
        > from the side opposite the flame it was ready to be worked again.
        > I'd suggest practice on a scrap piece before you committed good
        > material if you try doing it this way.
        >
        > Stephen C. Lovely

        > List Owner:

      • Rod
        Message 3 of 13 , May 20 5:54 PM
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "crashbone256" <wheezer606@...> wrote:

          > I am involved in a metal spinning project.
          > I want to anneal 0.025Ó sheet aluminum at 650*F for 2 hours.
          >
          > A toaster oven on bake goes to 500*.
          > A hot plate on high with kaowool cover reaches 500*.
          > A propane furnace set low goes to 1000*, but is unstable at lower settings.
          >
          > IÕd like ideas how to hold 650*F (+/- 5*) for two hours.
          >
          > Thanks
          > lance
          > +++++

          Lance

          You may be making more work than necessary. Quarter
          inch aluminum should be able to be annealed with
          a torch, either by sooting or soaping and burning
          the black off.

          However, some alloys of aluminum just plain refuse
          to be annealed. Ask me how I know.<g> My suggestion
          is to get some 1100-O aluminum which is already
          annealed. McMaster is one source where I get mine.

          Check out my YouTube video showing a demo
          of spinning from start to finish in my shop.

          <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QB0-AlwtI&feature=plcp>

          Rod
        • Lyle
          Message 4 of 13 , May 21 7:54 AM
            Heat treat rock?
            I gotta know why and what for?
            Thanks,
            LL

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Richardson <classicpoints@...> wrote:

            > Lance;
            > I heat treat a lot of rock so it can be worked and a lot of times , I use a turkey roaster.
            > Take the inside pan out and fill abot 3/4 full of viculite and it will go to 500 deg. and
            > hold it all day..
            >
            >  "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort"
            >
            >                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain
            >
            >                                                                     Dallas  IMAX 1340

          • Eggleston Lance
            Message 5 of 13 , May 21 3:33 PM
              I have a Weber Q BBQ.
              Set on high, top closed it records 700*F +/-2*F
              in today�s ambient conditions.

              So I adjusted the burner flame and annealed the aluminum sheet.

              BTW, I previously had tried the acetylene soot and burn-off method
              but with this thin sheet, the burn-off / melt temp are too close.

              Thanks for all the ideas.

              I will build an annealing oven some crappy weather day.

              lance
              +++++

            • Dallas Richardson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 21 3:47 PM
                Lyle;
                Sorry that just kinds slipped out..  Did you ever hear of the term Knapper
                or knapping ??  Knapping is the art of making arrow heads, the old way,
                like what the Indians done hundreds of years ago.. I am a knapper.
                Flint has to be heat treated before you can work it.. Its kind of like taking
                the temper out of steel before you can make a knife out of it... As in making
                a knife out of a "Bastard" file..  If you want to know more?? Lets take it OFF
                line..

                                                 Lord, today please Keep your arm around my shoulder
                                                          and your hand placed firmly over my mouth

                               Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain

                                                                                    Dallas  IMAX 1340

                > I heat treat a lot of rock so it can be worked and a lot of times , I use a turkey roaster.
                > Take the inside pan out and fill abot 3/4 full of viculite and it will go to 500 deg. and
                > hold it all day..
                >
                >  "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort"
                >
                >                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain
                >
                >                                                                     Dallas  IMAX 1340

              • Lyle
                Message 7 of 13 , May 22 5:30 AM
                  OK, that makes sense now. I also know stone masons would depending on the type of stone, heat stones proior to splitting them. Man, knapping is a real art. I was just curious.
                  Lyle