anneal aluminum sheet

  • crashbone256
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20 8:34 AM
      I am involved in a metal spinning project.
      I want to anneal 0.025Ó sheet aluminum at 650*F for 2 hours.

      A toaster oven on bake goes to 500*.
      A hot plate on high with kaowool cover reaches 500*.
      A propane furnace set low goes to 1000*, but is unstable at lower settings.

      IÕd like ideas how to hold 650*F (+/- 5*) for two hours.

      Thanks
      lance
      +++++
    • michael.a.porter@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , May 20 8:45 AM
        650 degrees plus or minus five degrees? This sounds more like tempering than annealing! At any rate, the best you're going to do is to place cut sheets into a computer controlled electric kiln, or send the separate sheets out for heat treat. BTW, you can get most any temperature out of a gas fired kiln you wish, simply by introducing secondary fan blown air into the heating equipment; you're just not going to maintain plus or minus five degrees.
        Mikey

        Message 3 of 13 , May 20 8:54 AM
          Lance;
          I heat treat a lot of rock so it can be worked and a lot of times , I use a turkey roaster.
          Take the inside pan out and fill abot 3/4 full of viculite and it will go to 500 deg. and
          hold it all day..

           "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort"

                         Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain

                                                                              Dallas  IMAX 1340

          I am involved in a metal spinning project.
          I want to anneal 0.025Ó sheet aluminum at 650*F for 2 hours.

          A toaster oven on bake goes to 500*.
          A hot plate on high with kaowool cover reaches 500*.
          A propane furnace set low goes to 1000*, but is unstable at lower settings.

          IÕd like ideas how to hold 650*F (+/- 5*) for two hours.

          Thanks
          lance
          +++++

        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 4 of 13 , May 20 8:57 AM
            Lance

            You could use a piloted gas burner and a solenoid main gas valve controlled by a cheap ebay temperature controller with a K type thermocouple.
            You would need some sort of flame failure device for the pilot. An old gas boiler control valve would provide that functionality. You could even use a new one as they are cheap to buy.

            Malcolm

            Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
            The writing is on the wall.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , May 20 9:32 AM
              On 5/20/2012 11:34 AM, crashbone256 wrote:

              > I am involved in a metal spinning project.
              > I want to anneal 0.025Ó sheet aluminum at 650*F for 2 hours.
              >
              > A toaster oven on bake goes to 500*.
              > A hot plate on high with kaowool cover reaches 500*.
              > A propane furnace set low goes to 1000*, but is unstable at lower
              > settings.
              >
              > IÕd like ideas how to hold 650*F (+/- 5*) for two hours.
              >
              > Thanks
              > lance
              > +++++

              Change the controller on the toaster oven.

              --

              Ron Thompson

              Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

              http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

            • Stephen Lovely
              Message 6 of 13 , May 20 10:39 AM
                I read once about a person forming aluminum sheet for car bodywork
                or something. He worked it until it got hard, then got out the acetylene
                torch. He sooted it up with an all acetylene flame, then put the oxygen
                in the flame and heated it from clean side. When the soot disappeared
                from the side opposite the flame it was ready to be worked again.
                I'd suggest practice on a scrap piece before you committed good
                material if you try doing it this way.

                Stephen C. Lovely

              • Matthew Tinker
                Message 7 of 13 , May 20 12:24 PM
                  I don't know why you need to hold the temperature for two hours,once it's up to heat, it's good. I learnt to use soup rubbed on the back, heat with a torch until the soap turns black. You need to heat evenly! The soap is supposed to stop you melting it by mistake!

                  Matthew TINKER
                  CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
                  http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 20 12:24 PM
                    Burning the soot off is a standard practice when "normalizing" chrome
                    moly aircraft tubing after welding a "cluster". The flame is then
                    pulled back allowing a slow cooling so it won't get hard and brittle....
                    Not exactly an annealing process, but related.......... aluminum of
                    course has different characteristics.

                    Here is a page which details annealing procedures very clearly and simply:

                    http://www.mlevel3.com/BCIT/heat%20treat.htm

                    Howard

                    On 05/20/2012 11:39 AM, Stephen Lovely wrote:
                    > I read once about a person forming aluminum sheet for car bodywork
                    > or something. He worked it until it got hard, then got out the acetylene
                    > torch. He sooted it up with an all acetylene flame, then put the oxygen
                    > in the flame and heated it from clean side. When the soot disappeared
                    > from the side opposite the flame it was ready to be worked again.
                    > I'd suggest practice on a scrap piece before you committed good
                    > material if you try doing it this way.
                    >
                    > Stephen C. Lovely

                    > List Owner:

                  • Rod
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 20 5:54 PM
                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "crashbone256" <wheezer606@...> wrote:

                      > I am involved in a metal spinning project.
                      > I want to anneal 0.025Ó sheet aluminum at 650*F for 2 hours.
                      >
                      > A toaster oven on bake goes to 500*.
                      > A hot plate on high with kaowool cover reaches 500*.
                      > A propane furnace set low goes to 1000*, but is unstable at lower settings.
                      >
                      > IÕd like ideas how to hold 650*F (+/- 5*) for two hours.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > lance
                      > +++++

                      Lance

                      You may be making more work than necessary. Quarter
                      inch aluminum should be able to be annealed with
                      a torch, either by sooting or soaping and burning
                      the black off.

                      However, some alloys of aluminum just plain refuse
                      to be annealed. Ask me how I know.<g> My suggestion
                      is to get some 1100-O aluminum which is already
                      annealed. McMaster is one source where I get mine.

                      Check out my YouTube video showing a demo
                      of spinning from start to finish in my shop.

                      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7QB0-AlwtI&feature=plcp>

                      Rod
                    • Lyle
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 21 7:54 AM
                        Heat treat rock?
                        I gotta know why and what for?
                        Thanks,
                        LL

                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Richardson <classicpoints@...> wrote:

                        > Lance;
                        > I heat treat a lot of rock so it can be worked and a lot of times , I use a turkey roaster.
                        > Take the inside pan out and fill abot 3/4 full of viculite and it will go to 500 deg. and
                        > hold it all day..
                        >
                        >  "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort"
                        >
                        >                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain
                        >
                        >                                                                     Dallas  IMAX 1340

                      • Eggleston Lance
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 21 3:33 PM
                          I have a Weber Q BBQ.
                          Set on high, top closed it records 700*F +/-2*F
                          in today�s ambient conditions.

                          So I adjusted the burner flame and annealed the aluminum sheet.

                          BTW, I previously had tried the acetylene soot and burn-off method
                          but with this thin sheet, the burn-off / melt temp are too close.

                          Thanks for all the ideas.

                          I will build an annealing oven some crappy weather day.

                          lance
                          +++++

                        • Dallas Richardson
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 21 3:47 PM
                            Lyle;
                            Sorry that just kinds slipped out..  Did you ever hear of the term Knapper
                            or knapping ??  Knapping is the art of making arrow heads, the old way,
                            like what the Indians done hundreds of years ago.. I am a knapper.
                            Flint has to be heat treated before you can work it.. Its kind of like taking
                            the temper out of steel before you can make a knife out of it... As in making
                            a knife out of a "Bastard" file..  If you want to know more?? Lets take it OFF
                            line..

                                                             Lord, today please Keep your arm around my shoulder
                                                                      and your hand placed firmly over my mouth

                                           Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain

                                                                                                Dallas  IMAX 1340

                            > I heat treat a lot of rock so it can be worked and a lot of times , I use a turkey roaster.
                            > Take the inside pan out and fill abot 3/4 full of viculite and it will go to 500 deg. and
                            > hold it all day..
                            >
                            >  "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort"
                            >
                            >                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain
                            >
                            >                                                                     Dallas  IMAX 1340

                          • Lyle
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 22 5:30 AM
                              OK, that makes sense now. I also know stone masons would depending on the type of stone, heat stones proior to splitting them. Man, knapping is a real art. I was just curious.
                              Lyle