Finding Silicon for Aluminum Alloying

  • Charles Bornstein
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2012
      I am interested in experimenting with adding silicon to my aluminum melts and I
      have some
      questions about how I should go about this.

      1. Is it ok to use Ferrosilicon (90%) for alloying with aluminum?

      2. Should alloying materials be added to the crucible before or after the
      aluminum becomes molten?

      I have been searching on the Internet for books or discussions detailing
      alloying aluminum which are
      backyard foundry oriented with no luck, so any references would be appreciated.
      Any thoughts or experiences
      relating to the general topic of alloying aluminum would be appreciated as well.

      Thanks

      Charles Bornstein

    • michael.a.porter@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2012
        You should look up my "facts" for yourself, but I believe anything more than a trace of iron is very bad in aluminum alloys, which would tend to rule out ferrosilicon as an additive in my mind :-)

        Silicon's melting point is 2,570° F (1,410° C); more than double that of aluminum; therefore I'd guess you need liquified aluminum to dissolve the silicon into. I think I'd go for fumed silica (AKA colloidal silica) as an easily absorbed, and easy to measure additive:
        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fumed+silica+powder&sprefix=fumed+silica%2Caps%2C295#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fumed+silica&sprefix=fumed+silica%2Caps%2C285&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afumed+silica

        But hey, I'm no caster; so check with others. Any nice chewy equipment questions? A lottle something on burners maybe?
        Mikey

        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2012
          I buy 50/50 silicon/alluminum ingots that I use to add to my scrap.
          They are a pretty common ingot. Kronick is where I buy mine.

          I have also had good luck dissolving copper wire into molten scrap aluminum.
          LL

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bornstein <cborn@...> wrote:

          > I am interested in experimenting with adding silicon to my aluminum melts and I
          > have some
          > questions about how I should go about this.
          >
          > 1. Is it ok to use Ferrosilicon (90%) for alloying with aluminum?
          >
          > 2. Should alloying materials be added to the crucible before or after the
          > aluminum becomes molten?
          >
          > I have been searching on the Internet for books or discussions detailing
          > alloying aluminum which are
          > backyard foundry oriented with no luck, so any references would be appreciated.
          > Any thoughts or experiences
          > relating to the general topic of alloying aluminum would be appreciated as well.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Charles Bornstein

        • Yvanwolvesbane
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2012
            Hey there, Lyle-
            Are you making aluminum bronze? What type?

            Mark Feldmann

            Pacifist ...with occasional lapses.

            On May 10, 2012, at 12:24 PM, "Lyle" wrote:
            > I have also had good luck dissolving copper wire into molten scrap aluminum.
            > LL
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bornstein <cborn@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am interested in experimenting with adding silicon to my aluminum melts and I
            > > have some
            > > questions about how I should go about this.
            > >
            > > 1. Is it ok to use Ferrosilicon (90%) for alloying with aluminum?
            > >
            > > 2. Should alloying materials be added to the crucible before or after the
            > > aluminum becomes molten?
            > >
            > > I have been searching on the Internet for books or discussions detailing
            > > alloying aluminum which are
            > > backyard foundry oriented with no luck, so any references would be appreciated.
            > > Any thoughts or experiences
            > > relating to the general topic of alloying aluminum would be appreciated as well.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Charles Bornstein

            > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
            > Player sheds pounds with trendy diet
            > Privacy Policy

          • Lyle
            Message 5 of 5 , May 11, 2012
              No, I'm just making scrap aluminum flow better. I haven't had very good luck pouring aluminum bronze. It's been over 10 years since I tried but back in the 90's I got (what I thought) was a good deal on some "brass" bearing cages. They were huge and must have been from the rail road or something. I tried pouring them with no luck and later found out they were aluminum bronze but not sure the exact alloy.

              I've read there are guys on this list making it sucessfully. But I haven't tried to make it from scratch.

              The 50/50 si/al master alloy I use to add to crappy aluminum scrap (cans, extrusions) it isn't necessary when using cast aluminum scrap.
              a 30 lb ingot lasts a long time.

              LL