Re: [hobbicast] Anyone in the Denver area?

  • Evan Daniel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2012
      Finding better sand at sane prices might be hard. If all you can find
      is the play sand, I would encourage you to sift it through a screen to
      get rid of the larger fraction. About a 30 mesh is as fine as it is
      worth doing. I found some fine window screen once that was about that,
      but it might be hard to find. You can always order screens online;
      McMaster has a good selection, and sells by the sq ft. And don't give
      up looking for finer sand. Call up construction supply places and see
      if they can order it for you. Fine sand is sometimes used in masonry
      work, iirc.

      Evan Daniel

      On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Steven DePhillips <stevendeph@...> wrote:
      > I am still learning myself but i will throw my 2
      > cents in anyway (if its worth that much). I have rough surface on my castings
      > because i use play sand from home depot its too corse.  But that is all i can
      > find in the Atlanta Area.  I did find that using bentonite clay that i can buy
      > in 50lb bags at a pottery shop made a big improvement over fire
      > clay.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Carl
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2012
        Evan:Normal window screen is real close to 20 mesh. For just a few more dollars than the plain screen a ready made sieve can be purchased at a gold prospecting store. There is mining near Denver so there should be a mining stores. The most common are sieves that fit on 5 gallon buckets. They cost about $24 each. They make 20, 30, 50 and 100 mesh plus larger sizes. One company also makes a 70 mesh "bucket sieve". Some stores also have smaller sieves for less money.   http://www.gold-n-detectors.com/%c2%a0   This is a store in Golden Co. that I believe is in the Denver area. EBay has a lot of the brass testing sieves and sometimes you can get a real good deal there.   Carl

        ________________________________
        Finding better sand at sane prices might be hard. If all you can find
        is the play sand, I would encourage you to sift it through a screen to
        get rid of the larger fraction. About a 30 mesh is as fine as it is
        worth doing. I found some fine window screen once that was about that,
        but it might be hard to find. You can always order screens online;
        McMaster has a good selection, and sells by the sq ft. And don't give
        up looking for finer sand. Call up construction supply places and see
        if they can order it for you. Fine sand is sometimes used in masonry
        work, iirc.

        Evan Daniel

        On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Steven DePhillips <stevendeph@...> wrote:
        > I am still learning myself but i will throw my 2
        > cents in anyway (if its worth that much). I have rough surface on my castings
        > because i use play sand from home depot its too corse.  But that is all i can
        > find in the Atlanta Area.  I did find that using bentonite clay that i can buy
        > in 50lb bags at a pottery shop made a big improvement over fire
        > clay.

      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2012
          Folks,
          Any concrete place has fine white quartz sand used for sandblasting and a variety of other things. Usually it's not graded using an AFS spec. But it's way better than sandbox sand. I can even get it in Fargo.
          LL