New web page, gravity fed extruder for 3D printer filament

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8 10:05 AM
      It's been a while since I updated my web site. I've been having a ball
      designing and printing stuff!
      I have printed so much, the cost of filament is starting to hurt.

      This page explores making my own filament from cheaper commercial pellets.

      http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/Gravity_Extruder/

      --

      Ron Thompson

      Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

      http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8 10:11 PM
        On Apr 8, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:

        > I have printed so much, the cost of filament is starting to hurt.

        Hi Ron,

        Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can actually shred milk/water (HDPE) jugs and use them for printing. You should be able to use them in the same gravity feeder you made.

        Not sure about you, but I never have a shortage of these plastic jugs around as I have to buy all my drinking water (the sub division's water is not up to my standards).

        I suppose even if you don't have a pile of them around, it shouldn't be too hard to round them up. Maybe you can get all of your friends to save their HDPE for you.

        ;)

        Best,

        Jeshua Lacock
        Founder/Engineer
        3DTOPO Incorporated
        <http://3DTOPO.com>
        Phone: 208.462.4171
      • Ron Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9 3:34 AM
          On 4/9/2012 1:11 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
          > Hi Ron,
          >
          > Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can actually shred
          > milk/water (HDPE) jugs and use them for printing. You should be able
          > to use them in the same gravity feeder you made.
          >
          > Not sure about you, but I never have a shortage of these plastic jugs
          > around as I have to buy all my drinking water (the sub division's
          > water is not up to my standards).
          >
          > I suppose even if you don't have a pile of them around, it shouldn't
          > be too hard to round them up. Maybe you can get all of your friends to
          > save their HDPE for you.
          >
          > ;)
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Jeshua Lacock
          Thanks! Yes, there are many plastics around. My main problem with
          recycling used plastic is it's labor intensive. Especially if you have
          to wash and or remove labels.
          I may get to that point, but right now I am trying to limit the
          variables while in the design stage.
          I have some HDPE pellets, but it seems too soft for most of the things I
          design. Like metal alloys, different plastics have different uses.

          I thought of reusing bottles and jugs in a different way. If you make a
          block the right shape, you can cut the bottles in half and reform them
          around the block with heat. Think vacuum former and small parts drawers...

          What I'd really like to see is a furnace burner that burns waste
          plastic! All that oil going into the landfill. I believe landfills will
          be the resource mines of the future.

          --

          Ron Thompson

          Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

          http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
        • Lee McKee
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9 5:15 AM
            Hey Ron... what are the chances that your 3D printer could run a microcrystiline wax? If i could produce wax patterns for lost wax metal castings this way itwould be a very cool thing indeed!

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9 5:33 AM
              On 4/9/2012 8:15 AM, Lee McKee wrote:
              > Hey Ron... what are the chances that your 3D printer could run a
              > microcrystiline wax? If i could produce wax patterns for lost wax
              > metal castings this way itwould be a very cool thing indeed!
              Microcrystiline wax? Is that like machinable wax? Anyway, I see two
              problems right off. The extruder uses 3mm diameter flexible plastic. Can
              you get this wax in that shape? and will it take the movement of the
              print head?
              Also, the resolution isn't the greatest. With a layer height of about
              .4mm the patterns would have a layered look.

              That said, there are other types of extruders that can handle paste or
              gels, so it might be possible to come up with something.

              --

              Ron Thompson

              Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

              http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
            • Carl
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9 7:43 AM
                http://motherboard.vice.com/2010/8/22/a-machine-that-turns-plastic-back-into-oil--2%c2%a0  Ron:This machine turns waste plastic back into oil which you can then burn in a furnace. I believe there is also a machine to then turn the oil into gasoline. They want a lot of money for the machine shown and it only does small amounts of plastic each cycle. Also it doesn't work on all plastics so there is a lot of labor involved in the sorting. It is probably more practical to just recycle plastic into other plastic products instead of trying to recover the energy. Some plastics create very toxic fumes when burned. Anyone that lives in the country and burns their garbage should use extreme caution. PVC used in food wrapping and wire coating releases cancer causing dioxins when burned. Cities that burn their garbage use a high temperature afterburner to destroy "most" of the dioxins. I wouldn't want to live down wind from a city garbage burner. You are correct that a
                huge amount of resources end up in the landfill. I check the dumpster at my Mom's apartment every night. I don't know if the people are lazy or just ignorant but a tremendous amount of recyclable material ends up in the garbage instead of the recycle dumpster. Even the maintenance man puts huge cardboard boxes from water heaters in the garbage instead of walking a little further to recycle them. Carl

                ________________________________
                On 4/9/2012 1:11 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
                > Hi Ron,
                >
                > Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can actually shred
                > milk/water (HDPE) jugs and use them for printing. You should be able
                > to use them in the same gravity feeder you made.
                >
                > Not sure about you, but I never have a shortage of these plastic jugs
                > around as I have to buy all my drinking water (the sub division's
                > water is not up to my standards).
                >
                > I suppose even if you don't have a pile of them around, it shouldn't
                > be too hard to round them up. Maybe you can get all of your friends to
                > save their HDPE for you.
                >
                > ;)
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > Jeshua Lacock
                Thanks! Yes, there are many plastics around. My main problem with
                recycling used plastic is it's labor intensive. Especially if you have
                to wash and or remove labels.
                I may get to that point, but right now I am trying to limit the
                variables while in the design stage.
                I have some HDPE pellets, but it seems too soft for most of the things I
                design. Like metal alloys, different plastics have different uses.

                I thought of reusing bottles and jugs in a different way. If you make a
                block the right shape, you can cut the bottles in half and reform them
                around the block with heat. Think vacuum former and small parts drawers...

                What I'd really like to see is a furnace burner that burns waste
                plastic! All that oil going into the landfill. I believe landfills will
                be the resource mines of the future.

                --

                Ron Thompson

                Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

                http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

                Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

              • Glenn N
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 9 8:57 AM
                  Now if we could just figure a way to solar power the converter :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 9 9:25 AM
                    Glenn:Just power it from the oil it produces. It looks pretty simple. Just heat the plastic. I think the video even shows the temperature. Then distill the vapor. I thought about building one but more research led me to believe it is more complicated. There is a lady scientist in India that has one that is similar but as I remember it took her many months to get the process to work. Carl

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 9 9:32 AM
                      I noticed they said it took electricity and heat, but I don't see how any
                      kind of electrolysis or ionization could take place. It can't be that
                      simple or you could buy them at harbor freight LOL